Mumbai’s Puranik completes N American Ironman in Texas

Sports Reporter
Thursday, 30 May 2019

Dr. Swaroop Puranik (37) from Mumbai, Director at DY Patil University, Navi Mumbai recently completed his second Ironman Championship which took place in Texas, USA on April 27.

Pune: Dr. Swaroop Puranik (37) from Mumbai, Director at DY Patil University, Navi Mumbai recently completed his second Ironman Championship which took place in Texas, USA on April 27.

Ironman Triathlon comprises of 4000 meters of open water swim + 180 km cycling + 42km Run, raced in that order and without a break. It is widely considered as the most grueling one-day sporting events in the world, with a limited time of 16 hours to complete the race.  Puranik’s timings in each stage are Swimming (01:27:36), Cycling (07:09:29) and Running (07:35:43) resulting in finishing the Iron Man championship in (16:31:12). 

Speaking after finishing the race Puranik said “What I felt after finishing the race is inexplicable. It is about achieving something which less than 0.1% of the world athletes accomplish, it is about sacrifices that not just you, but your family too have made. No matter how fit you are physically, it only counts for about 20 per cent. The rest 80 per cent is your mind, your grit and determination. It’s a humbling but a fulfilling experience.”

​ ​

Related News