Pune: Police books son and daughter-in-law for abandoning parent

ST Correspondent
Sunday, 28 June 2020

The elderly man was manhandled and abused by his son before being thrown out of his own house.

Pune: Some lessons in relationships are learnt the bitter way. An elderly parent, who was disowned and deserted by his son and daughter-in-law, was driven to approach the police and register a case against them.

The incident came to light after 68-year-old father Janardhan Dattatray Shinde lodged a complaint at Talegaon Dabhade Police Station, which falls under the jurisdiction of Pune rural police. Janardhan complained of his son Pradeep, and daughter-in-law Kavita, resident of Rao colony in Talegoan Dabhade, of abandoning him.

According to the police, "The plaintiff had a quarrel with his eldest son Pradeep over domestic issues. At the same time, Pradeep's wife Kavita insulted him. In 2018, both Pradeep and Kavita locked the house, threatening to evict him. Apart from abusing him, Pradeep also punched and kicked him out of the house saying, "don’t come to this house again". The elderly man then went to his younger son's house. After living with the son for two years, the complainant then returned to his home in Talegoan Dabhade, claiming that they wanted to stay put in their own house, which is situated in Pune. At that time, he noticed that the suspects had blocked the roads at the entrance of their house with steel sheets and had also changed the lock to the house.”

He added, “Complainant approached his elder son and daughter-in-law and requested them to give their house keys and let them stay peacefully in the house, but they manhandled, abused and started fighting with him. Later both the suspects forcefully pushed him away and threw him out of the house. the man approached us to ask if we could shelter him, as no one wanted to accommodate him because of the outbreak. We first rushed the elderly parent to the hospital for treatment, as he was manhandled by the suspects and was in shock. When our team went to meet him at the hospital, the complainant requested us to take action against his son and daughter-in-law, based on which we have registered a case. We are investigating the case, if needed, we will counsel the son so that the senior-citizen parent can get their own house to stay.”

Related News

​ ​