PUNE: In a bid to make an equal distribution of work and to fix a sense of responsibility among the police personnel, Pune city police are strengthening the police chowky (beat system) under each of the 30 police stations in the city.
The jurisdiction of a police station is divided into several small chowkies. The staff of the chowky is supposed to know the area and its people. Police chowky is headed by an assistant police inspector (API)/ police sub-inspector (PSI). It is formed for the smooth working to avoid public inconvenience. Crime-related incidents are recorded at the chowky and registered (FIR) by police stations. All beat marshals (who are the first responders when the crime is reported), police station, chowky and control room work in close coordination. Records of all important offices, different organisations, hotels, gunda elements, history-sheeters are maintained at chowky.
According to police officials, Pune Police Commissioner Dr K Venkatesham is strengthening the police chowky for an effective and efficient policing. During his visits to chowkies, he is interacting with the staffs. When quized about people in their areas, some staffers failed to give proper answer including the name of the local political representative and criminals residing in their areas. Accordingly, each staff has been instructed to know their corporator, social worker, NGOs, anti-social elements, criminals, Police Mitra etc.
Dr K Venkatesham told Sakal Times, “Police (beat) chowky is the closest unit of the commissionerate with the citizens. Therefore, they have to do certain things like increasing visibility of police to reassure public that they are there. They have to emphasise more on the prevention of crime. They should know who are the habitual offenders in their areas, who is a potential offender as well as juvenile offenders who may commit crimes. They will be doing effective surveillance and provide inputs to the police station’s detection branch (DB) and Crime Branch. This is the main purpose behind the strengthening of the beat system and police chowkies in the city.”
IMPORTANCE OF CHOWKY SYSTEM
- The police station area is divided into 3 to 4 police chowkies /beats.
- Every police chowky has API/PSI as in-charge and there are two police head constables and four police staff for the smooth function.
- The chowky officer and staff maintain the law and order in the chowky jurisdiction
- The vigilance is kept on the criminals who are on record by chowky officer and staff.
- The staff is able to reach the crime/incidents spot in a short time and help the people.
- Watch is kept on any untoward incident by the chowky and same is informed to the superiors.
- Different committees are formed at the chowky level e.g. Senior citizen committee, Peace committee, and coordination is kept amongst them by way of periodical meetings