Pipeline burst causes huge water loss in Viman Nagar
VG Kulkarni said, “The valve of water pipeline of Bhama-Askhed water supply project and PMC’s regular water supply lines malfunctioned. Due to this, there was a water leakage.”
PUNE: In yet another incident, thousands of litres of water was wasted when a drinking water pipeline of the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) developed a leakage in Viman Nagar on Friday morning. This comes at a time when the city is facing water scarcity and regular water cuts. After the canal wall breach incident, this is the fourth such incident in the city.
As per the information, a leakage was reported in the PMC drinking water pipeline in Viman Nagar on Friday. Local residents claimed that water was overflowing for more than eight hours since Thursday night. However, civic officials have denied these claims.
Speaking to Sakal Times, Chief Superintendent Engineer, Water Supply Department, VG Kulkarni said, “The valve of water pipeline of Bhama-Askhed water supply project and PMC’s regular water supply lines malfunctioned. Due to this, there was a water leakage.”
A resident of Viman Nagar, Sachin Bhujbal, said, “Already, Viman Nagar residents are getting less water as compared to other areas. The civic body is not at all serious about the maintenance and repair works. Now, wastage is happening due to water leakage. This has become a regular occurence in the city. This is due to carelessness of the PMC. We had informed the civic body about the leakage. However, they took more than eight hours to repair the pipeline.”
Last year, in September, the Mutha right canal burst inundating nearby areas and affected over 200 families living in slums near Dandekar Bridge near Parvati hills.
After the canal incident, due to a technical problem in the butterfly valve at Sinhagad Road, around 15 lakh litres of water was wasted. The Sinhagad Road was inundated for two hours. The incident took place in January 2019.
In March 2019, a pipeline burst in Wadarwadi area and huge quantity of water was lost. The residents had to face problems as water suddenly started gushing into their home at mid night. Many of them were seen shifting their belongings to safer places as the water inundated the area within no time.