AICTE approves closure of courses in 68 professional colleges in Maharashtra
AICTE had received requests for closure of many engineering courses this year
Pune: The All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) has approved closure of courses in around 68 professional colleges in the State. Of these, around seven courses are taught in 11 colleges, which are affiliated to the Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU).
The courses approved for closure across include computer engineering, mechanical engineering, pharmaceutics, quality assurance techniques (pharmacy), heat and power engineering, computer networks, communication networks, hotel and catering management, etc.
Accordingly, the Higher and Technical Department of the State Government has issued a circular giving its nod to those colleges or institutes to proceed for closure of the courses.
It has also directed that the institutes expected to shut the courses should submit all necessary documents related to the closing of the course, including mark sheets, answer sheets, results, students’ addresses, fee receipts, etc, to the respective university.
The colleges should also find an alternative in case of existing students or former students wanting to take the examination of the course, which is to be closed.
Besides, the AICTE has approved an intake of 420 seats for post-graduate and under-graduate (PG+UG) in architecture, 813 seats (UG+PG) and 1,497 seats (diploma) in engineering and technology, 2,160 seats (UG+PG) and 1,920 seats (diploma) in pharmacy, 180 PG seats in management, 60 seats in master’s of computer application (MCA).
This year, very few institutes have got approval for new establishments in the State. Only four new institutes for engineering and technology, four institutes for architecture and two institutes for management have been approved. As reported earlier by Sakal Times, 52 new institutes of pharmacy have been approved in the State.
“Every year, we take suggestions about institutes should be established and which should be closed in the State. This year, the AICTE received requests for closure of many engineering courses, while there was a demand to start new institutes of pharmacy in the State. Therefore, according to the demands, the AICTE has given required approvals,” said the chairman of AICTE, Anil Sahasrabudhe.
Names of institutes and courses to be closed
- Jayawantrao Sawant College of Engineering, Handewadi Hadapsar-post graduate course in computer engineering and heat power engineering,
- GH Raisoni College of Engineering and Management, Wagholi - under-graduate course in electronics and telecommunications engineering
- Jayawant Shikshan Prasarak Mandal’s Imperial College of Engineering and Research, Wagholi - post-graduate course in heat power engineering
- AISSMS College of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Shivajinagar - PG in Master in hotel management and
- Dattakala Group of Institutions, Chincholi-Pune District- Masters in Computer Application
- Navsahyadari Education Society’s group of Institutions, Bhor Taluka-Pune District-UG-Mechanical Engineering and electronics and telecommunication engineering and PG in MCA
- JSPM Narhe Technical Campus, Narhe - PG in computer engineering and heat and power
- Shree Ramchandra College of Engineering, Lonikand- PG computer engineering and VLSI Embedded Systems and UG in Mechanical Engineering.