Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, on Wednesday, mourned the loss of 20 soldiers who martyred in the line of duty in a violent clash against Chinese soldiers in Galwan Valley of Ladakh.
Rajnath Singh on his Twitter handle said, “The loss of soldiers in Galwan is deeply disturbing and painful. Our soldiers displayed exemplary courage and valour in the line of duty and sacrificed their lives in the highest traditions of the Indian Army.”
His other tweet reads, “The Nation will never forget their bravery and sacrifice. My heart goes out to the families of the fallen soldiers. The nation stands shoulder to shoulder with them in this difficult hour. We are proud of the bravery and courage of India’s breavehearts.”
The Defence Minister reviewed the current situation in the Eastern Ladakh region after the shocking clash between Indian and Chinese soldiers took place on Monday.
Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) General Bipin Rawat, three service chiefs - General MM Naravane, Admiral Karambir Singh and Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria, Foreign Minister S Jaishankar who were present in the meeting also discussed the condition with Rajnath Singh.
The Indian Army in a statement on Tuesday said, "Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area where they had earlier clashed on the night of 15-16 June. Seventeen Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at the stand-off location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries, taking the total that were killed in action to 20."
This is the first Indian casualties in a clash with the PLA People's (Liberation Army) since 1975 when an Indian patrol was waylaid by the Chinese army in Arunachal Pradesh.