SRINAGAR: The Al Qaeda's Indian wing in Jammu and Kashmir, Ansar Ghazwat-ul Hind (AGH), has been wiped out from the Valley, informed Jammu and Kashmir DGP Dilbag Singh.
In a hurriedly called press conference on Wednesday, he informed that AGH's chief Hameed Lone, alias Hamid Lelhari, who was founder Zakir Musa's successor has also been killed along with two other terrorists. Former Hizbul Mujahideen commander Zakir Musa was killed in an encounter in May this year. The other two terrorists killed have been identified as Naveed Ahmed Tak and Junaid Rashid Bhatt.
The J&K DGP's statement comes a day after the three terrorists were killed in Tral area located in Pulwama district of south Kashmir. Singh said the operation was carried out following a tip-off from the local police and sources.
"All the killed terrorists as per police records were part of the Zakir Musa group and were wanted by police for their complicity in a series of terror crimes, including attacks on security establishments and civilian atrocities," the police chief said.
Singh said the Pakistan-based terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammed was also trying to coordinate with other terror groups, including the AGH, to carry out attacks in the valley.The DGP said arrangements had been made for local body polls and they will be peaceful.
It was suspected that youth from the Valley would join militancy after the Centre's August 5 decision to make Jammu and Kashmir a union territory but those were unfounded, the police chief said.
Here's what the Jammu and Kashmir DGP informed:
- The AGH has been wiped out but some elements who are overground workers are there. They suddenly crop up and join militant ranks... But, as of now, the AGH has been wiped out from Kashmir
- The JeM is trying to coordinate with every militant group in Kashmir.
- JeM and LeT get directions from Pakistan on who to target, what type of violence to incite and at what level.
- It is difficult to say but I would say that at a local level that connection (between Pakistan and AGH) is visible- It is difficult to give a number of militants who have come in after August 5. But their number is sizeable that much I can say.
- Ceasefire violations are on in Rajouri-Poonch, Hira Nagar-Samba, Karnah-Uri, Machhil, Keran and Gurez sectors and it has become a routine. Whenever Pakistan violates the ceasefire, its attempt is push in more militants