The army has said in a statement that twenty Indian soldiers including a colonel have been killed in a "violent face-off" with Chinese troops at Ladakh's Galwan valley, on Monday night.
This is the worst escalation on the border from over five decades, soldiers of both the countries were in the process of disengagement. There were 43 casualties reported from the Chinese army.
Earlier, the army announced that on Monday evening, a major escalation killed an Indian Colonel and two soldiers, though attempts were being made from both the governments to end weeks of border tensions. The army said that India retaliated, and both sides had casualties. Military sources say the soldiers had not been shot but were killed in the Indian Territory in a physical fight with batons and stones.
The clashes between Indian and Chinese troops along the Line of Actual Control in Ladak is a matter of 'concern' for UN Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres, who requested restraint from both countries.
Antonio Guterres said, "We are concerned about reports of violence and deaths along the Line of Actual Control between India and China. We urge both sides to exercise maximum restraint. We take positive note of reports that the two countries are engaged in deescalating the situation."
Army Statement On Ladakh Face-Off: Total 20 Jawans Killed In Ladakh
The Army has said that the 17 Indian soldiers, who were critically injured in the line of duty at the stand off location, have died of their injuries.
The Army said in a statement, "Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area where they had earlier clashed on the night of 15/16 June 2020. 17 Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at the stand off location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries, taking the total that were killed in action to 20."
The Army statement added, "Indian Army is firmly committed to protect the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the nation."