Maharashtra Govt to redistribute water supply to Baramati to corner NCP

ST Correspondent 
Thursday, 13 June 2019

The decision will also affect water supply to Indapur 

Mumbai: Ahead of the Assembly polls, the Fadnavis government is planning to counter the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) in Baramati. The State Government has issued a notification to reduce water supply from Nira Devdhar canal to Baramati for agriculture purposes. This decision would affect Indapur too, as the government wants to extend water supply to Malshiras, Sangola and Pandharpur in Solapur and Phaltan in Satara. 

After the BJP government announced its move, the NCP is likely to suffer more after the setback in Lok Sabha polls. 

According to sources, the water supplied to Baramati and Indapur talukas in Pune district is in excess and can be used to provide relief to drought-hit areas in neighboring Satara district. 

Officials from State Water Resources Department said the Neera left bank canal supplies water to Baramati and Indapur from the Bhatghar dam in Pune district. It seems Baramati and Indapur are getting more water than required. 

“If some of the water supplied to Baramati and Indapur talukas is saved, it can be supplied to drought-hit areas of neighbouring Satara district. The government cannot supply excess water to some areas and deprive others,” said the official. 

Madha MP Ranjeetsinh Naik Nimbalkar had a meeting with Water Resources Minister Girish Mahajan regarding this issue last week. After the request from Naik, Nimbalkar the Water Resources Department issued the orders. 

According to the Water Distribution Act, 1954, the water distribution pact was decided. According to the pact 57 per cent water will be supplied through right canal of Veer Bhatghar dam and 43 per cent water of the dam will be supplied through the left dam. Thus the Phaltan, Malshiras, Sangola and Pandharpur talukas were getting water. 

In 2007, NCP changed the pact. According to the new pact the 60 per cent water from Neera Devdhar dam would be used to supply Baramati and Indapur talukas through the left canal, while the rest 40 per cent water was to supply Phaltan, Malshiras, Sangola and Pandharpur through left canal. The tenure of the pact was for ten years that is up to April 3, 2017. 

Even after the end of the pact, the water was going the same taluka according to the pact. 

Now, MP Ranjeetsinh Naik Nimbalkar and Ranjeetsinh Mohite Patil requested Water Resources Minister Girish Mahajan for new allocation of water distribution and cut the water to Baramati and Indapur talukas.

Related News