Maharashtra: 70:30 formula for medical admissions scrapped

Akshay Badwe
Tuesday, 8 September 2020

Maharashtra state government scrapped the formula of 70:30 for medical admissions

Mumbai: The issue of 70 per cent regional quota for admission to MBBS course in the state was scrapped on Tuesday. In what has come as a major relief to students, the Maharashtra government on Tuesday declared that it would not apply formula of 70:30 for college admissions this academic year.

In the medical entrance examination, 70-30 per cent method was functional in Marathwada and the rest of Maharashtra. However, Medical Education Minister of the state Amit Deshmukh on Tuesday announced the cancellation of the 70-30 quota system in medical admissions, stating that meritorious students are being deprived. Thus, here onwards, it will be 'One State and One Merit', he informed.

Maharashtra sees admission to MBBS course from three regions — Marathwada, Vidarbha and the rest of Maharashtra. Leaving out All India quota of 15 per cent, 70 per cent of the admissions in college in each region out of remaining total 85 per cent state quota seats are reserved for candidates from that particular region while rest 30 per cent are kept aside for students from other region.

Many parents from past few months requested the government to scrap this method.

 

Related News

​ ​