Bigwigs back in fray for LS polls

ST CORRESPONDENT
Thursday, 14 February 2019

In 2014, all big leaders from NCP and Congress were defeated in the ‘Modi wave’. Now, sensing the wave might be over, all big leaders have decided to contest from their respective constituencies.

MUMBAI: The Congress and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) are planing to ask all their bigwigs to contest for Lok Sabha elections. These include Sharad Pawar, Ganesh Naik, Chhagan Bhujbal and Dilip Walse Patil from NCP and Prithviraj Chavan, Vilas Muttemwar and Sushilkumar Shinde from Congress. 

In 2014, all big leaders from NCP and Congress were defeated in the ‘Modi wave’. Now, sensing the wave might be over, all big leaders have decided to contest from their respective constituencies.  In 2014, Sushilkumar Shinde, Vilas Muttemwar, Eknath Gaikwad and Satish Chaturvedi were defeated. NCP Chief Sharad Pawar had already announced that he would not contest any election. 

NCP State President Jayant Patil said that the party has asked Sharad Pawar to contest from Madha constituency. “Discussions on seat sharing are on and we want that all like minded parties should come together against BJP,” he said. 

“After the final discussion with all parties, candidates for all seats will be declared at the same time. Political scenario in the country has changed and party workers desire that Pawar should be present in Lok Sabha,” said Patil. 

According to the sources from NCP, if Sharad Pawar contests from Madha, the internal political dispute in Solapur district may also end. Sushilkumar Shinde is also vying for Solapur constituency and has started meeting party workers.

​ ​

Related News