PUNE: A recent study by TeamLease Skills University on apprentice hiring trends in India has found that Maharashtra is one the topmost states in India to offer opportunity of apprenticeship.
The findings were also released by the university in ‘The Apprenticeship Outlook and Index’ report, which also states that the July–December 2019 period will witness positive growth in apprentice hiring. The hiring sentiment is expected to grow from 36 per cent to 41 per cent, indicating a 5 per cent increase. Further, 17 per cent more employers are positive about hiring apprentices in the long run.
Speaking on the apprentice hiring trends, Vice President – National Employability Through Apprenticeship Program (NETAP), TeamLease Skill University, Sumit Kumar said that the apprenticeship adoption is bound to increase in retail, healthcare, logistics, finance and electronics sector.
“While there is low demand in automotive sector, we hope the situation would improve in coming future. In our study, we also found that service sectors are driving the demand compared to manufacturing,” Kumar said.
However, in coming future, we will have to work on improving things in manufacturing sector, as we will need manpower in manufacturing too,” added Kumar.
He also shared that currently the university is working with over 514 employers and the number is soon expected to reach 700.
SOME FINDINGS OF THE STUDY
- 40 per cent employers in manufacturing sector and 42 per cent employers in the services sector are open to hiring apprentices over the next six months.
- Apprentices productivity overall has been positive for the sectors.
- A substantial 55 per cent of all respondents felt the apprentices they hired were ‘very productive.’
- A significant 34 per cent stated that apprentice productivity was ‘limited’ 11 per cent felt apprentices were not productive.
- Majority of employers (72%) pay stipends below Rs 12,000 per month with no plans to increase over the next 6 months