Why working women need self-nurturing!
Self-care, care of one’s body and mind, is a much-needed break that increases productivity, enhances self-esteem, improves self-knowledge and promotes better health. However, self-care is not only restricted to pampering oneself.
According to Dr Sadhana Deshmukh, a renowned aesthetic dermatologist and trichologist based in Mumbai, self-care is an extremely important practice, which helps in replenishing one’s energy. “Several working women overlook the need for self-nurturing, owing to their busy lifestyles but that precisely makes it important for them to indulge in such practices because with self-care, you can avoid burnouts,” says the founder of Forever Young Clinic.
Self-care, care of one’s body and mind, is a much-needed break that increases productivity, enhances self-esteem, improves self-knowledge and promotes better health. However, self care is not only restricted to pampering oneself. It can also be done in more substantial ways like incorporating a healthy diet and exercise, enough sleep and meditation in your daily activities. Doing so helps in eradicating any long-term health and stress issues in the future.
Talking about the effective ways of indulging in self-care, the doctor says that it can focus on either physical or mental aspect of a person. “Some effective ways would include exercising regularly to make sure that your body stays strong and healthy, opting to eat healthy most of the time, and trying to cut down processed carbohydrates and excessively oily food from diet,” she says.
She further adds that to maintain healthy hair and skin, it is recommended to maintain a diet that is rich in protein, healthy carbohydrates, and fatty acids. Along with that, one can opt for some beauty supplements containing vitamin B and Biotin for hair and vitamin E and C for the skin. A check-up with a dermatologist is recommended in cases of any persistent issues like pigmentation, acne of hair fall, etc.
“Meditation, yoga, and dancing can also improve the well-being of the body and allow one to let off steam. Allotting some ‘me time’ is a good way of replenishing oneself,” Deshmukh says.
She adds that excessive stress can damage the skin and hair. It can result in lack of sleep, dehydration and craving for unhealthy junk food, leading to poor hair and skin health. Taking too much stress can cause the body to release hormones that can trigger various skin and hair issues like breakouts, acne and wrinkles and hair fall. “It can also lead to dehydration in the body that results in hyperpigmentation and dullness. It weakens the skin. As a result, it retains less water and moisture making it more fragile and open to sun damage,” she adds.
As stress causes blood vessels to contract, hair follicles on the scalp become deprived of oxygen, minerals, and vitamins that are usually required for healthy growth, leaving the hair frizzy and thin while causing fallouts and breakage. Excessive hair loss and lack of shine and lustre in the hair are very common among people suffering from stress.
This is how working women can take care of their hair and skin at home
- Among the products which would fit well in the working women’s lifestyle is a jade roller or an ice roller to control unwanted swelling and inflammation. It further closes the pores keeping the skin more healthy.
- Sheet masks are also a good option to recharge dull and tired skin as they offer a lot of hydration vitamins and antioxidants. Exfoliating masks should be used once a week.
- Regular use of good hand and foot mask is also advised. One can also use ingredients easily available at home to achieve healthy skin, like massaging the skin with papaya for a glowing skin, using an egg white mask for a tighter skin. DIY body scrub with 1 cup of sea salt or sugar in half a cup of olive oil can make the dry skin smooth.
- Working women usually face the issue of tired eyes. Along with using a good under-eye cream with Vitamin C, one can regularly apply rose water or take used and chilled green tea bags and keep them under the eyes for at least 10 minutes to get instant freshness.
- Opting for weekly hair oil massage: One of the oldest practices in India, this gives out the best results. Separately, rinsing the hair with a 3-4 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water will make it more shiny and lustrous.
- Lastly, it is imperative to incorporate a good sunscreen and a good hydrating moisturiser for the day, It is important to know that sunscreen needs to be reapplied every 2-3 hours, especially when one is in direct contact with the sunlight. During the night, one should use a good cleanser followed by toner and night cream to maintain healthy skin. One needs to follow this regime every day without fail.
Things to consider while buying self-care products
- Skin Type: One needs to understand their skin type and the issue one is looking to resolve. Most skincare products are designed for a particular skin type, varying from normal to dry to oily to combination skin.
- It is important to pick a product that works well on one’s skin type. For example, if someone has dry skin but also suffers from acne and is looking for a moisturiser, they should make sure that they opt for a non-comedogenic one, as a basic moisturiser may cause more acne.
- Utility and purpose of the product: One needs to check what the product offers while purchasing it. Different products cater to different issues like treating acne, hydrating the skin or preventing ageing. The product should resolve the issue one is facing.
- Price: The price of the product does not decide its effectiveness. Expensive products don’t need to be the ones with the best results, one can always find a product serving the desired results in their budget. However, it is always advised to consult a dermatologist before adding a new product in one’s regime, irrespective of its price.
- Ingredients used: One needs to check the information about the ingredients being used in the product to make sure there are no harmful ingredients and also to ensure that one is not allergic to any of the elements included. Also, one should look out for products having ingredients that would work best for them like Vitamin C for glowing skin, retinol in night repair creams, etc.
- Natural products: It is advised to choose products that are naturally made and have fewer chemicals in them. It is always better to choose products that have been recommended for approval by dermatologists.