As a mentor, Kelly Clarkson has had two wins in a row, but for 16-year-old Chevel Shepherd being the champion of The Voice season 15 is a life-changing, paradigm-shifting experience. The 4’10” teenager with the powerful voice is getting ready to work on her debut album post the show, and a tour of the United States too. Here’s chatting her up about her plans:
- Have you started working on your debut album yet? Tell us whatever you can about it.
I haven’t officially started working on my album yet but I plan to start very soon with the help of Kelly Clarkson.
- Winning the show was a dream come true. But what are your plans now? How do you plan to use your fame and talent?
I plan to make albums, and sing and share my passion for country music across the USA. I want to go to the Country Music Association Awards (CMA), and The Grand Ole Opry, a weekly country music stage concert in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Who are your role models and why?
I really look up to Loretta Lynn and Carrie Underwood. They both have continued to follow their dreams and passions without caving in to what people want them to be.
- What kind of a student-mentor relationship did you share with Kelly Clarkson? How did she contribute towards making you a better singer and performer?
Kelly was, and is like a big sister to me. She taught me so much about life as well as music. She really worked one-on-one with me and made sure I was prepared to perform my best. One of the biggest lessons Kelly taught me was to always stay true to who I was and to always be myself.
- Growing up on a farm, how have you prepared for this new lifestyle which will probably consist of touring across the US at least, if not the world, working on your music, and so on?
Well, it was technically a car farm (we love hot rods and all cars). I will learn to prepare for this lifestyle of touring across the country by always remembering where I came from. I’m super excited to spread my passion for music.
- How are your parents reacting to your win?
My parents and the whole family are super proud of me. They’ve always supported my dreams since I was a baby and we’re all super excited for what else is in store.
- What plans do you have about finishing school?
I’m going to do online school but it’s going to feed my grades back to my old high school so I can still walk with my class! That’s what I really want to do, graduate with my friends, and walk across the stage with my best friend Aspen.
ST READER SERVICE
Tune in to The Voice S15 Finale on AXN on January 27 at 10 pm