Valentine’s Day is about spending some tender moments with your loved one and making beautiful memories which both can cherish for a lifetime. Food is a part of any celebration, so make this V-day a super delicious one with some finger-licking dishes made at home
Love is in the air and what better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than enjoy a delicious fare. While most of you may have already made plans with your loved ones to dine out at a special restaurant, some of you may still be wondering where to go and what to indulge in?
If you are looking for an intimate affair and a customised platter, we suggest you put on the chef’s hat to try out some dishes at home. With a little help from our city chefs, you can get going and make this V-Day a super yummilicious one!
Little red heart
This Strawberries Cream Cheesecake is the stuff cake dreams are made of! It is the perfect party dish with impressive elegant charm. And it’s also the season to have fresh strawberries.
This easy dessert recipe is a pure delight for this weather and season of love, and great for parties and picnics. Also, the fresh strawberries make for an impressive presentation.
A perfect little red heart, the aphrodisiac strawberry is an edible Valentine. In ancient Rome, the strawberry was a symbol of Venus. In the past, the French countryside had a tradition of serving newly weds cold strawberry soup to help promote the aphrodisiac of honeymoon romance.
Strawberry Cream Cheesecake is a very special dessert for a date night. But it’s not just a romantic dessert for Valentine’s Day. Bake or get it for someone’s birthday, anniversary, or a stay-in date night in general. It never fails to surprise people, and it’s irresistible!
Strawberry cream cheesecake
- Cream cheese...800gm
- Corn flour...80gm
- Egg yolk...400gm
- Egg white...800gm
- Cream of tartar...8gm
- Lemon zest...2
- Vanilla pod... 2
- Strawberry Confit
- Strawberry puree...350gm
- Set a double boiler, melt butter, add cream cheese, milk. Once melted let it cool.
- After it cools down, add egg yolks.
- Add all your dry ingredients (corn flour, flour, salt, lemon zest, vanilla).
- Beat the egg whites and sugar, add it to your mix.
- Bake it at 150° Centigrade for 30 min.
- Glaze it with strawberry confit.
— Recipe by Selva, pastry chef, The Westin Pune, Koregaon Park
Marbled chocolate covered with luscious and fresh strawberries dipped in coloured candy melts is super fun, truly delicious and very pretty. It is also easy to make for Valentine’s dinner date and adds a special touch to your celebrations. What makes it fun is the fact that you and your partner can make it together since it involves a simple recipe. And a classic chocolate-covered strawberry recipe is what a romantic date night is all about. At least that’s what we have seen in movies!
Marbled Chocolate covered Strawberries
- Pink candy melts...250ml
- White candy melts...100ml
- Orange candy melts...100ml
- Fresh strawberries...12
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Place pink, white, and orange candy melts in separate microwave-safe bowls.
- Microwave at 50 per cent power for 1 minute and stir thoroughly. Continue to microwave and stir at 30-second intervals until smooth and completely melted.
- Drizzle a few tablespoons of white and orange onto the pink base colour using a spoon or whisk, but do not stir.
- Fully dip 1 strawberry into the pink base, twisting and turning when lifting up to create a marbled pattern. Allow the excess candy coating to drip off.
- Set strawberry on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle more white and orange over the pink base.
- Repeat with remaining strawberries.
- Refrigerate the dipped strawberries until they harden, at least 15 minutes. Serve.
— Recipe by Sandeep Bhandari, executive chef, Sayaji Pune
Something Spicy And Healthy
The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. To surprise your partner this Valentine’s Day, you must try this sumptuous and mouth-watering dish. What makes this dish extra special is the fact that it is rich in fibre and has a healthy amount of protein too. So this V-Day, raise a toast to fitness. The special ingredients used in the dish will heighten the mood and make you fall in love all over again.
Chicken Roulade with Multigrain Tomato and Avocado
- Chicken breasts.. .2
- Bell pepper.. .30gm
- Almond. ..20gm
- Pistachio. ..30gm
- Cheese.. .50gm
- Garlic... 10gm
- Mixed herbs... 10gm
- Black pepper.. .5gm
- Salt to taste
- For salad
- Avocado.. .1
- Tomatoes ...50gm
- Multigrains. ..30gm each
- Marinate the chicken with salt, pepper, herbs, and garlic for about half an hour.
- After marination, stuff the chicken with 3 types of bell peppers, garlic, cheese, almond and pistachio, and roll the chicken and keep it for half an hour.
- Grill the chicken for about 8 min.
- While the chicken is getting ready, start the preparation of Avocado Salad.
- To the diced avocado, add lettuce, tomato (diced) and multigrain (jowar, bajra and quinoa)
- For salad dressing, add a little lemon, red wine vinegar in the end.
- For the taste, one can add sauce of saffron velouté (chicken stalk, cream, butter and saffron) or sauce of your choice.
— Recipe by Sandeep Nevage, junior sous chef, and Kiran Patil, executive chef, David Lloyd Clubs Talwalkars