India may lose Pune Challenger next year

Amanpreet Singh
Wednesday, 25 July 2018

Organisers blame a tight schedule and additional financial burden as India is already struggling to host enough tennis tournaments for its top men’s players.

New Delhi: A country which is already struggling to host enough tennis tournaments for its top men’s players could see the Pune Challenger going off the calendar next year due to additional financial burden, expected to be caused by the revamp of the ATP Challenger Tour.

The TNTA and the KSLTA are willing to the take the pinch, though.
Among the wholesale changes announced by the ATP, from 2019 the singles main draw size will increase from 32 to 48 players and the hosts will have to provide hotel accommodation to all main draw players.
It is making Maharashtra State Lawn Tennis Association (MSLTA) jittery as the cost of hosting KPIT Challenger, a regular feature since 2014, will increase from Rs 1 crore to 1.5 crore.

“The prize money will go up to USD 60,000 and the ATP will provide a subsidy of USD 10,000 but it looks difficult to raise more money. It will also be not good to ask government for funds since they are already supporting two big tournaments,” said Sunder Iyer, Maharashtra State Lawn Tennis Association General Secretary said. 

“The rupee is already falling. One dollar is now close to 70 INR. It’s not easy to raise sponsorship money for tennis. So, the Challenger won’t be commercially viable for us. It’s a bad move, it will be a burden on organisers.”

MSLTA, the most active state association in the country, spent USD 8.5 lakh (approx 6 crore INR) last year to conduct all the tournaments, including the Maharashtra Open.

There has been a steady fall in number of tennis tournaments in India since 2015 when it hosted four ATP Challengers, apart from 19 men’s ITF Futures and 16 women’s ITF events.

The Challenger tournaments in the country have benefitted the Indian players a lot as Yuki Bhambri re-entered the top-100 after winning the 2015 edition of the Pune Challenger.

Sunil Yajaman, Tournament Director for Bengaluru Open, says they are committed to host the event for five years, till 2020.

“I know the cost will increase but our players need tournaments, so we will continue with Bengaluru Open. It will surely be difficult for MSLTA since they are hosting lot of tournaments,” he said.

Tamil Nadu Tennis Association (TNTA), which lost the Chennai open after hosting the tournament for 21 years (1997-2017) due to financial crunch, has welcomed the revamp.

“It is a good move despite the fact that it will increase the hosting cost of the tournament. We need better tournaments. Why everybody is talking about Ramkumar today, because he made the final of the Newport,” said TNTA Secretary Karti Chidambaram.

“There is no great competition in ITF Futures. The rankings in 300-350 bracket are misleading. There are no quality players. The dynamics of tennis is changing. After revamp only quality players will play on the Challenger Tour. We will continue to host our Challenger despite that there be more expenses,” Chidambaram added.

Wholesale Changes
 All main draw players will earn prize money and Challenger tournament will be re-branded in accordance with the number of rankings points on offer as as is currently the case on the ATP World Tour.
There will be five ATP Challenger Tour categories 70, 80, 95, 110 and 125.
From 2020, ATP ranking points will begin at the ATP Challenger Tour only, a change that will significantly reduce the number of ATP-ranked players.
As of now players earn both ranking points and prize money while competing on the ITF Futures circuit. 
 

Related News