Akhil Rabindra lands spot in Aston Martin Racing Academy
Bengaluru based Akhil Rabindra was on Saturday announced as the only Asian driver to be selected to join the Aston Martin Racing (AMR) young driver racing academy, run by the racing division of the iconic British Automobile manufacturer, Aston Martin.
Pune: Bengaluru based Akhil Rabindra was on Saturday announced as the only Asian driver to be selected to join the Aston Martin Racing (AMR) young driver racing academy, run by the racing division of the iconic British Automobile manufacturer, Aston Martin.
The 22-year-old was amongst the 23 elite young drivers picked from across the world and will undergo a year of training and assessment by the Aston Martin Racing team with the best performer landing a reserve driver role in 2020 with the factory Aston Martin Racing team.
Akhil hit the headlines earlier when he was chosen from the Asia Pacific region for the FIA Institute Young Drivers Excellence Academy in 2014.
The final group of 23 elite drivers, who now stand a chance to win an Aston Martin Racing Junior Contract for 2020, were selected by a group of judges that included three-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner Darren Turner, FIA World Endurance Championship drivers Jonny Adam and Maxime Martin.
Akhil is the only Indian racing in the 2019 GT4 European Series driving an Aston Martin Vantage GT4 car for PROsport Performance. The 2019 GT4 European campaign will begin at Autodromo Monza, Italy, on April 12-14.
Akhil Rabindra factfile
- 2019: Selected for the Aston Martin’s Racing Young Driver Academy. 2018: Teamed up with 3Y Technology to drive in GT4 European Series
- 2017: Selected by McLaren GT Driver Academy for the British GT.
- 2016: Moves up to race in Formula 3 with the champions Lanan racing.
- 2014: Formula 4 BMW, Akhil finished National runner-up.
- 2012: The youngest finalist in the saloon car category in the Toyota Ethios Racing Series.
- Racing debut with JK Tyre National Racing Championship in the LGB Formula-Swift, the entry level single seater series in India.
- 2011: National runners-up in the JK Tyres MMS Rotax Max National Rookie Championship.