Toddler swallows a battery, successfully operated upon

ST Correspondent
Monday, 25 June 2018

Pune: An 11-month-old toddler swallowed a battery of a remote control, after which a city-based doctor had to immediately operate on him as the outer coating of the battery starts decaying and can lead to a life-threatening situation.

Speaking to Sakal Times, Dr Mandar Doiphode, Oyster and Pearl Leela hospital in the city, said that the toddler needed immediate surgical assistance.

Pune: An 11-month-old toddler swallowed a battery of a remote control, after which a city-based doctor had to immediately operate on him as the outer coating of the battery starts decaying and can lead to a life-threatening situation.

Speaking to Sakal Times, Dr Mandar Doiphode, Oyster and Pearl Leela hospital in the city, said that the toddler needed immediate surgical assistance.

“The infant was brought to us on Saturday morning and we straight away decided to perform a surgery. After the battery is swallowed, it starts decaying. Once the outer coat is removed, the battery contains acid, which can cause severe damage to the food pipe,” said Dr Doiphode.

He also mentioned that after the admission of the toddler to the hospital at around 8 am, the surgery was started by 10 am.

“To avoid any damage to the food pipe, the endoscopy was started at 10 am. As a result of the quick action, the battery was removed. And only one side of the food pipe had some wounds, which is nothing to worry about,” said Dr Doiphode.

Dr Doiphode also mentioned that after the surgery, on Sunday morning, the toddler was able to drink water properly.

“The operation being successful. the toddler was discharged from the hospital on Sunday noon,” said Dr Doiphode.

 

Related News