Second fire incident in a week reported at RTO

Sushant Ranjan
Wednesday, 20 June 2018

The documents and hard copies pertaining to several vehicles’ registration were burnt. After this incident, the RTO has sought a fire audit on a priority basis.

PUNE: It seems that the fire incidents at Regional Transport Office (RTO) are not uncommon as yet again, a fire broke out at the RTO on Tuesday at the same place where it was reported in the last week (June 14). The documents and hard copies pertaining to several vehicles’ registration were burnt. After this incident, the RTO has sought a fire audit on a priority basis.

The second incident was reported at around 9.10 am. The fire brigade department received a call at 9.14 am. A team with 14 firemen with two fire tenders and a water tanker rushed to the spot at 9.20 am. Following back to back fire incidents, a citizen on the condition of anonymity, said, “There is something wrong. It was earlier reported that fire took broke out due to a short circuit, but within a week, at the same place, there is again a fire incident and this time, there was no sign of a short circuit. Someone is doing this purposely.” As per the initial report released by the fire brigade, there are enough fire extinguishers in the RTO. 

Refuting rumours, Babasaheb Ajri, Regional Transport Officer, said, “It happened in the same room. The fire was controlled by using fire extinguishers from our office by our men. Fire engines arrived immediately and have contained the damage. Police panchnama is being done. We have asked for a quick fire audit of our building. Papers of registered vehicles have become wet due to water sprayed by firemen. The room will be sanitised after panchnama takes place.”

“All records concerning public work are simultaneously maintained electronically on Vahan 4.0 so there will be no inconvenience to the public. Routine work is unaffected. We are taking all precautions to avoid such unfortunate incidents in the future,” Ajri said. “Sacks containing papers which caught fire and those which became wet due to water were kept in the same room. This is necessary until panchanama is done. Only the fire department can give correct reasons about how the fire broke out,” he added.

Related News