Pune: City-based Sanjay Nahar, founder president of NGO Sarhad whho is known for running an educational institute for Kashmiri children, was the target of a parcel bomb which exploded at the office of a courier company in Ahmednagar on Tuesday night.
The incident took place at 10 pm at the office of Maruti Courier Service Pvt Ltd in Maliwada area of Ahmednagar. The police said the parcel was sent in the name of a woman, Najma, but a man came to send it at 7 pm. "There were three staff members in the office when it exploded. Two of them heard some sound coming from the parcel and they were opening it when the explosion happened. They are undergoing treatment in a hospital."
"The parcel was being sent to Pune. It consisted of a speaker and a pipe, which had some white powder. Forensic experts have been roped in to find out the exact nature of the explosive," an officer privy to the investigation told Sakal Times.
When contacted, Ahmednagar SP Ranjan Sharma said, "It was a low-intensity blast. Further investigations are underway."
Police have found that the address and phone number mentioned by the man who had come to send the parcel, are fake.
Meanwhile, Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and Intelligence Bureau (IB) sleuths have begun probe and also contacted Nahar for details. “I have been approached by police and other agencies. I can't share more details at present as investigations are on. The officers told me that it was a powerful bomb and I would have died also," said Nahar.
He added, "Most people have supported my work. But there are a handful of extremists who don't like my work. In the past also I have got threats and one letter was in the name of a Kashmiri girl. But I know it was a stunt as Kashmiris have saved me many times. Death can happen in a road accident also if it is in my destiny. So I am not afraid of it and will continue my work."
The injured persons have been identified as Sandip Bhujbal and Sanjay Kshirsagar. “As we were sorting the parcels and it fell down from my hand and sound started coming out from the box. We opened it and found a radio like thing and a letter which stated the woman (Najma Shaikh) has recorded her voice and it can be heard on the radio. Also it was mentioned that there is no battery and it has to be connected to the electric switch. As soon as I connected, there was explosion and both of us got injured”, Kshirsagar said.