Pimpri: The Maharashtra Safai Karmachari Commission has issued a notice to the Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Commissioner Shravan Hardikar over the death of a sanitary worker while cleaning a sewer line in Kalewadi last week.
The notice was issued following a complaint by Advocate Sagar Charan, Vice President, Health Department Grievance Redressal Committee of Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC).
In a recent incident, a contractual sanitation worker Bharat Bhimarao Devkhare (35), a resident of Mahatma Phule Nagar, Bhosari became the second casualty of this year. Devkhare fell unconscious as he had entered a toxic gas filled sewer line with a co-worker on Sunday afternoon, without any safety equipment.
The commission has asked the commissioner to take immediate action in both deaths of sanitary workers and report of the action should be sent to the commission.
When asked about the possible action in the case, Hardikar said, “We have set up a committee to find out the exact cause of the death of the sanitary worker. The report of the committee has been submitted to me. Appropriate action will be taken in next two days against the people who are responsible for negligence.”
The contractor who was hired for the work has maintained that this was an accident and Devkhare did not enter the drainage line but fell unconscious and slipped into it immediately after opening the cover of the drainage line.