Pune: Pune airport at Lohegaon is on the priority list of the top 10 airports in India, which will be developed by the Airport Authority of India (AAI). AAI had issued a tender inviting bids for construction of a new integrated terminal building, reconstruction of the old terminal building and modification of the existing expanded terminal building of the Pune airport.
A senior official of AAI from New Delhi told Sakal Times, on condition of anonymity, that Pune airport will get priority for development of the new terminal building and to provide more facilities to passengers.
“A meeting was held in New Delhi recently regarding the development of airports across the country. Pune airport is on the priority list. The passenger growth in April was 29 per cent, which indicated that the 10 million passenger mark could be achieved this year. The bid for a new terminal building has also been issued. The target date of completion of the new terminal building has been set as December 2020 and we are closely working on it,” said the official.
In May, AAI’s Regional Executive Director Keshav Kumar had inaugurated a solar plant, which is capable of generating 300 KW. Pune airport has also installed LED lights, which will help reduce electricity usage. Earlier, the load of electricity was 192 KW, which is now down to 80 KW.
“The design of the new terminal building is in the final stages. The new terminal building will have state-of-the-art facilities. It will cater to both domestic and international fliers,” said the official.
“To improve safety of parking bays, LED lights have been provided at the apron. It is the first at any of the AAI airports. For better passenger comfort, air circulations have been provided in the terminal building, which has enhanced passenger comfort and energy efficiency, again a first at any of the AAI airports. We are continuously upgrading facilities at the airport and in the coming 2 to 3 years, we will be coming up with the new terminal building with an addition of 42,000 sq mt. To meet city side approach, action has been taken for new connectivity and widening of roads leading to the airport,” said Ajay Kumar, Director, Pune airport.
- Construction of Apron and Link Taxi Track at Pune Airport - Rs 1,007.00 lakh - work in progress.
- Construction of Terminal Building - 42,000 sq mt. Building has been approved with a budget of approx Rs 400 crore. The Project Management Consultant has been appointed in May 2017 and tendering work for new integrated terminal building is in process. It will take 24 months to complete the project. PDC of Terminal Building will be December 2020.
- Provision of 3 PBBs at Pune Airport – Rs 385 lakh
- Renovation of toilets at Pune Airport – Rs 191 lakh
- Provision of Baggage Handling System, Modification of existing BHS i/c maintenance and operation at Pune Airport – Rs 599.66 lakh
- Additional area in SHA – Phase II
- Additional area in Dep. check-in for commercial facilities.