Post-mortem at 17 more govt med colleges
Added medical colleges
- Government Medical College, Akola, can conduct postmortem of Akola, Amaravati, Buldhana districts
- Raja Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaj Government Medical College, Kolhapur, can conduct postmortem of Kolhapur, Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg districts.
- Government Medical College, Latur, can conduct postmortem of Latur and Osmanabad districts.
- Government Medical College, Chandrapur, can carry out postmortem of Chandrapur and Gadchiroli districts.
- Government Medical College, Gondia, can conduct postmortem of Gondia district.
- Government Medical College, Jalgaon, can conduct postmortem of Jalgaon district.
Mumbai: Now, there is no need to travel to other districts for post-mortems of bodies, as the State government has decided to authorise 17 more government medical colleges to be added in the list of postmortem centres.
These government medical colleges can now conduct the postmortem of an individual who died an unnatural death in police custody and the forensic pathologist of the respective college will be responsible authority to communicate the report to the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
According to the new amendment, BJ Medical College and Sassoon Hospital can conduct the postmortem of the bodies, if the death has occurred in Pune and Ahmednagar districts.
Earlier, there was a provision that postmortem can be conducted only in medical colleges with forensic science. As per the new additions, medical colleges in Akola, Kolhapur, Latur, Chandrapur, Gondia and Jalgaon are now part of the list where postmortem can be conducted.
The State government has fixed the responsibility of conducting the postmortem and video shooting of it on forensic pathologist. The postmortem has to be carried out by a panel with two or more doctors. The videographer will be from the panel authorised by the district collector and will be initially paid by the said medical college, only to be reimbursed later from the concerned police commissioner, superintendent of police or jail authorities.
Earlier, the family of the diseased had to travel to other districts where the postmortem centre was available and that was putting extra financial and mental burden on them. This lengthy process results in extra pressure on authorities, as many times, more time taken for postmortem results in law and order situation from the relatives. So the government decided to make the process easier. As per the guidelines of the NHRC, postmortem can be conducted only from sunrise to sunset.
As per the newly added medical colleges, in the postmortem list, all postmortems from Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Thane, Raigad and Palghar will be carried out in Grant Medical College and JJ Hospital while Pune and Ahmednagar have been assigned to BJ Medical College and Sassoon Hospital in Pune.