PMRDA invites tenders for metro project

ST Correspondent
Friday, 16 March 2018

"While the Centre and State will be contributing 40 per cent of required funds for the project, the remaining 60 per cent will be raised from private players," added Gitte.

PUNE: Following the recent nod from the Centre for the Hinjawadi-Shivajinagar Metro corridor on public private partnership basis, the Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority (PMRDA) has called for tenders from three companies - Tata Realty Siemens, IRB and ILFS - for the development of the project.

PMRDA Commissioner Kiran Gitte said that the Centre has sanctioned Rs 1,300 crore as part of the viability gap funding for the project. "While the Centre and State will be contributing 40 per cent of required funds for the project, the remaining 60 per cent will be raised from private players," added Gitte.

The three companies had shown interest in developing the project. As per Gitte, after the acceptance of proposals, a final bidder will be selected and the process would be completed by April.

"Following this, the work on Hinjawadi-Shivajinagar metro is expected to start. The depot of metro is expected to come up in Maan village near Hinjawadi," added Gitte.

The three companies will also be responsible for maintaining and operating the 23.3 km metro, which will ply through Hinjawadi, Wakad, Balewadi, Pune University and Shivajinagar.

The Metro line is expected to be built at a cost of Rs 8,300 crore and will be executed under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model. The bidders are given a deadline of April 27 to submit the proposals.

The project was approved in December 2016 and is yet to take off. Gitte said that the metro project will certainly help in reducing traffic in Hinjawadi area. 

Related News