PUNE: After a 12-year-old boy lost his life due to electrocution in Warje area, the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) has realised the importance of earthing of the street electrical poles. The civic body has decided to ensure that all street electricity poles have the earthing system in place.
Out of a total of 1.4 lakh street poles, only 40 per cent have the earthing system.
On August 19, a 12-year-old boy Prithviraj Vishal Chavan studying in standard VI at an English medium school in Warje was electrocuted when he was playing and parked his bicycle against the street pole. Later, it was revealed that the accident happened as the pole had no earthing. The Pune police filed charges of negligence against Pune Municipal Corporation’s Electrical Department officials.
Earthing is a system which connects specific parts of that installation with the Earth’s conductive surface for safety and functional purposes.
While speaking to Sakal Times, Shriniwas Kandul, Chief Superintendent of the Electrical Department of PMC said, “It is true that most of the street light poles don’t have proper earthing system. Now, we have ordered all ward officers to install the earthing system to street poles in their jurisdictions. We have set a deadline to complete the work before the Ganesh festival. We have deputed electrical contractors to install the system, while corporation officials will supervise the work.”
As per the PMC Electrical Department there are four types of poles like decorative, tubular, hexagonal shape, galvanized octagonal shape poles and high mast poles.