Experts say approved stretch can be part of Phase 1 if State goverment pays the bill.
Pimpri: If the State government is willing to spend around Rs 1,000 crore from its coffers, then Pimpri-Nigdi stretch of Pune Metro Rail project can be undertaken along with Swargate-Pimpri route currently approved by the Central government.
Experts and members of Advisory Committee of Maha-Metro discussed this issue in the first Metro Samvad – an interaction between officials, experts and common man – organised in Pimpri Chinchwad,
Responding to the questions, Shashikant Limaye, a member of the Advisory Committee said, “The work of Pune Metro is already late by six years. The project that is currently undertaken was part of original detailed project report (DPR) that was prepared in 2009. While undertaking the project only costing part of the project is revised. It would have taken more time if DPR of the project was revised. It is not very difficult to extend it to Nigdi.”
Limaye added, “The State Cabinet has given approval to an extension of metro till Nigdi and Katraj in October 2013. If State government decides to extend it at its own expense then it is possible to include this project in Phase 1 itself.”
He gave an example of Mumbai Metro, and said, “The State government recently approved an extension of metro rail from Dahisar to Andheri in Mumbai in record four months’ time without asking for Central government’s assistance.”
Vivek Gadgil, former managing director and chief executive officer of L&T Metro Hyderabad, said, “It was a challenge for developing Metro rail in a congested city like Hyderabad. But Indian engineers accepted this challenge and succeeded in it. While undertaking the project, the people of Pune will have to face some hardship.”
“One Metro rail has the carrying capacity of 1,000 people in one trip. It is possible to run 30 trips of the metro in one hour. Considering this numbers, 60,000 people can travel in an hour from both sides of the metro corridor. This may result in pushing a large number of vehicles off the road,” Said Gadgil.
Loopholes and citizens’ demands
- The project undertaken by Maha-Metro has been marked till Pimpri only.
- There is an uproar against this decision as the citizens feel that starting point of the metro should be Nigdi as it is strategically located.
- People who attended Metro Samvad raised questions about the decision to limit Metro till Pimpri only.
- Participants said that most parts of the city are not covered in the metro.
- If the project is undertaken in next phase, it will take at least five years.
- During this time traffic situation in the city will further deteriorate.
- Pimpri-Chinchwad Citizen Forum has co-ordinated for first Metro Samvad in Pimpri-Chinchwad.