Mumbai: PWD minister Chandrakant Patil has appealed to the organiser of the Maratha Morcha to come forward and discuss the issues with the government. The government is ready to listen to them will consider their demands, he assured.
After organising several protest marches since 2016, the Maratha community will now be taking out its biggest-ever protest rally in Mumbai on August 9. The Maratha Kranti Morcha was formed last year by a number of organisations from the Marathi community.
Chandrakant Patil said, “The government has fulfilled most of the demands of the Maratha Kranti Morcha in last three years. The government has increased the income slab for the scholarship for economically backward class (EBC) from Rs 3 lakh per anum to Rs 6 lakh per annum. The government has allocated funds for the hostels for the students,” he said.
The three demands which are still pending are justice to the Kopardi victim, changes in atrocity Act and reservation for Maratha community. These three demands are not in the State government’s hand. The Kopardi rape case is in the court and the court will announce its judgement. Atrocity and reservation will be decided by the Central government,” he said.
“Still chief minister is positive to discuss the issues with the organisers and he will find a solution for their problems,” Patil said.
These morchas have been known as Muk Morcha (silent march) is known for holding rallies without any political support. Till now, it has not allowed any political leader to take part in its rallies.