Pune: The Institute of Technology Nirma University won the ABU National Robocon 2018, hosted by Doordarshan and MIT Academy of Engineering at Balewadi Sports Complex. They defeated MIT Pune in the finals. Nirma will now represent India at the International Robocon 2018 to be held in Vietnam in August.
The valedictory function was held in the presence of Prof Dr VD Karad, Founder President, MIT WPU, Dr Sunil Karad, Executive Director, MIT Group of Institutes, MS Thomas, ADG, Doordarshan, Prashant Rao, Manager, Application Engineering Group Mathwork, Nakamura Daisuke, MD ROHM, Nachiket Joshi, Additional General Manager, Janatics India Pvt Ltd, Prof Anant Chakradeo, Dean MITID, Dr Yogesh Bhalerao, Director MIT Academy of Engineering, Alandi.
The teams which entered quarterfinals included VIT Pune, KJ Somaiya Institute of Engineering, Mumbai, Nirma Institute of Technology, VJTI Mumbai, COEP, MIT Pune, LD COE, IIT Roorkee, out of which KJ Somaiya Institute, Nirma University, VJTI and MIT COE entered the semi-finals.
The most crucial match was between last year’s finalists MIT and COEP, which was won by MIT.
In the semi-finals, three-time champions MIT (58 points) defeated KJ Somaiya Institute Mumbai (27 points), while in the second semi-finals, Nirma University (59 points) defeated VJTI (13 points).
- ROHM Innovation award: KJ Somaiya Institute of Engineering, Mumbai.
- Mathwork Awards trophy: UV Patel, COE (first), Government COE, Aurangabad (second), Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology (third), and Government College of Engineering Amravati (third).
- Special Mathwork prize: National Institute of Technology, Karnataka
- Best Idea Award: LD COE, Ahmedabad
- Best Manual Operator: VJTI Mumbai
- Best Aesthetic Robot: COEP
- Best Innovative Design: IIT Roorkee
- Fastest Job Completing Robot: Nirma University
- Best Shuttlecock Design: Rustom College of Engineering, Gwalior
- Best Rookie Award: Neotech Institute of Technology, Vadodara.
- Prof Balkrishna Saha Award: Nirma University
- Robu.in Award: Government COE, Awasari.
- Prof Dr Vishwanath Karad Award: Nirma University (winner), MIT Pune (runner-up), KJ Somaiya Institute (second runner-up).