PUNE: Officials of the Vishrambaug police station will be taking help of the forensic lab to check electronic details of the warmer machine after a blast in the machine caused burn injuries to a newborn baby at Vatsalya Hospital in Budhwar Peth on Tuesday morning.
The newborn baby girl suffered 80 to 90 per cent burn injuries and is under treatment at the intensive care unit of Dr Ram Dhongade near Vijay Talkies on Laxmi Road. Speaking to Sakal Times, Senior Police Inspector Appasaheb Shevale said the child is in critical condition and has suffered over 90 per cent burns. “We lodged a case against the doctor and staff of Vatsalya Hospital and will be submitting our reports to the medical committee at Sassoon General Hospital,” added Shevale.
As per the senior inspector, a short-circuit led to the blast in the warmer machine causing burn injuries to the child. “We need to find what led to the blast and so we will seek the opinion of forensic experts in the case,” added Shevale. Dr Ram Dhongade, who is treating the baby, said the child has suffered 80 to 90 per cent burns and is in a critical condition.
Police Inspector Amrut Marathe of Vishrambaug police station said the baby has been shifted to burn ward of Sassoon General Hospital for treatment. “The child is in a critical condition,” added Marathe.
A police official of Vishrambaug police said Dr Gaurav Chopade and staff members of the hospital were booked under sections 287 (Whoever does, with any machinery, any act so rashly or negligently as to endanger human life) and 338 (Causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) of Indian Penal Code.
Speaking to Sakal Times, the complainant Vijay Kadam who is an autorickshaw driver, said he had admitted his wife Swati for delivery at Vatsalya Hospital. At 8.45 am after the surgery of the mother, the newborn was shifted to labour ward and was supplied oxygen. Later, the complainant and his relatives saw the child and came out of the labour room. Suddenly, they heard a blast and the child suffered burn injuries. Vijay told Sakal Times that a family doctor had recommended Dr Gaurav Chopade for Swati’s delivery based on which Vijay had been taking his wife to Dr Chopade for seven months. Vijay was told that the total expenditure of the delivery will be around Rs 40,000 to Rs 50,000.
“On Tuesday at 8 am, after the delivery of his wife through C-section the doctors told me that the newborn will be kept in warmer for some time. All my relatives saw the baby and were coming out when they heard the blast at 8.45 am in the warmer. Dr Gaurav then rushed my child to another private hospital,” added Vijay. The complainant said there were three staffers other than Dr Gaurav who were looking after the delivery of his wife.
On Wednesday morning, four police officials of the State Reserve Police Force were deployed at Vatsalya Hospital to maintain law and order. Reporters were not allowed in Vatsalya Hospital. Swati is under treatment at Vatsalya Hospital.