IMA’s student wing holds stir by bunking classes for 2 hrs

ST Correspondent
Monday, 2 April 2018

Students of two colleges miss their classes between 9 am and 11 am to protest

Pune: The India Medical Association’s Student’s Wing (IMASW) protested on Monday against the National Medical Commission Bill at BJ Medical College and Smt Kashibai Navale Medical College and General Hospital. Students participated by bunking class for two hours between 9 am to 11 am.

A memorandum of their demands was submitted to the Collector of Pune and deans of the respective medical colleges. Speaking about the protest, President of IMA, Pune, Dr Padma Iyer, said, “Students, who did not have their examination, participated in the protest. The students did a mass bunk to voice their unhappiness against the NMC Bill, which was expected to be tabled in Parliament on Monday. The bill is against the interest of students.”

Talking to Sakal Times about the issues, Dr Avinash Bhondwe, former vice president of IMA, Maharashtra chapter, said that the protest was against the National Exit Test (NEXT) for MBBS students. “The students put in so much hard work during their studies and now they also have to prepare for NEXT, which makes it more hectic. Another clause where MBBS students will be at par with Ayurvedic students and Homoeopathic students is also not fair to those who have been working so hard to become doctors. The government should not ignore these protests,” said Bhondwe.

Former president of IMA, Pune chapter, Dr Prakash Marathe, said that IMA has highlighted various loopholes in the bill earlier as well. “The government should make proper amendments in the bill, as the bill, if passed, will make medical education more expensive. The bill states that the government shall regulate 40 per cent of the fee and the rest 60 per cent will be in the hands of the college. This may make medical education more expensive,” said Marathe.

Related News