Govt yet to release the RTE admission schedule

ST CORRESPONDENT
Thursday, 31 January 2019

“For the past many years, the government has been unsuccessful in filling 100 per cent of the RTE seats. While it was declared last year that the process will begin in December itself, it actually began in the second week of January 2018.” RTE activist Mukund Kirdat of AAP Palak Union said.

PUNE: While the process for admissions of children under the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act usually starts by the second or third week of January, this time, even the schedule for the same has not been released by the government.

With a large number of the 25 per cent reserved quota seats at schools remaining vacant at the end of the admission cycle last year, activists had demanded the process start earlier this year.

“For the past many years, the government has been unsuccessful in filling 100 per cent of the RTE seats. While it was declared last year that the process will begin in December itself, it actually began in the second week of January 2018. The process of RTE form filling should have begun by January 24 this year, but there is no sign of it yet,” RTE activist Mukund Kirdat of AAP Palak Union said.

He said it is necessary to complete the RTE procedure by March as summer vacations start in April. “This leads to delay in the admission process, that makes the parents anxious. Many times, due to late admissions that take place after the schools reopen, the students miss out on the initial school days,” Kirdat added.

Matin Mujawar of Shikshan Hakka Manch said the delay shows the inefficiency of the government in implementing RTE. “All the rules are the same each year. The procedure is defined and still it is delayed every year. It creates troubles for both parents and schools. If the parents do not get the schools of their choice under RTE, there is further delay in taking admission at other schools. Also, last year, schools were not allowed to carry out regular admissions, until the RTE admissions are complete, which is inadequate,” Mujawar stated.

Speaking to Sakal Times, Ashok Godse, Extension Officer, Education Department, Pune Zilla Parishad said the process has not begun, as the State Government has not yet released a GR for the same. 

“Every year, the government issues notification regarding the procedure to be followed with respect to the timetable, reservation quota, school registration. Only after that, we can start accepting applications. There is a possibility that the school registration process might start next week,” Godse said.

“Last year, we allotted more time for parents to take admissions. If we hold fast marathon rounds efficiently, the admissions could still finish within the given time frame,” he added.

GR AWAITED
Ashok Godse, Extension Officer, Education Department, Pune Zilla Parishad said the process has not begun, as the State Government has not yet released a GR for the same.

Related News