Devendra Fadnavis mum on extending metro to Nigdi
Pimpri-Chinchwad has huge potential. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the city’s leadership and administration to ensure maximum transparency in functioning of the civic body.
Pimpri/Pune: Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis did not give an assurance for extension of the Pune Metro till Nigdi despite demands from the PCMC Mayor and Leader of House at a public function in Pimpri-Chinchwad on Saturday.
Fadnavis also said that Pimpri-Chinchwad has more potential than Pune and this needs to be utilised in terms of rapid development of the city.
Fadnavis said, “Pimpri-Chinchwad has huge potential. Therefore, it is the responsibility of the city’s leadership and administration to ensure maximum transparency in functioning of the civic body. Hundred per cent sewage treatment of the city should be our next big target and the government will extend all possible financial assistance.”
Guardian Minister Girish Bapat said, “The metro will be extended till Nigdi in the next phase. For rapid development of the city, the civic body needs around Rs 800 to Rs 1,000 crore from the State government in the near future. We hope that the CM will consider this and extend required help to the city.” Mayor Nitin Kalje and Leader of House Eknath Pawar also echoed similar demands. Despite this, there was no mention in the chief minister’s speech about this demand.
CM on an inauguration spree
- Fadnavis inaugurated Late Nilu Phule Natyagruh in Pimple Gurav and performed the ground breaking ceremony of two grade separators at Bhakti Shakti Chowk and Sai Chowk in Pimple Saudagar.
- He inaugurated two police station buildings, Dighi police station at Wadmukhwadi and MIDC Bhosari police station.
- He launched the City Safe Mobile Application of the city police.
- Guardian Minister Girish Bapat, Mayor Nitin Kalje, MLA Laxman Jagtap, Mahesh Landge, MPs Shivajirao Adhalrao Patil, Amar Sable, MLA Gautam Chabukswar, PCMC Commissioner Shravan Hardikar, Commissioner of Police Rashmi Shukla and others were present.
- In Pune, Fadnavis inaugurated MIT’s World Peace University in Kothrud. He said the university is an unique attempt to impart values of world peace. “It is our quest to reason everything around us that leads us to discover the reason for our existence,” he said. Rahul Karad, Trustee and Vice President, MIT and veteran scientist Raghunath Mashelkar were present.
CM’s convoy blocked
Ring Road Project affected people blocked the convoy of Fadnavis outside the venue. The police used force to disperse them. They were demanding the government scrap the proposed Ring Road Project, due to which over 1,000 residents will be affected. They tried to hand a memorandum to the CM about their demands.