Despite opposition, BJP approves SPV formation

Sakal Times
Saturday, 24 February 2018

Pune: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has passed a proposal to establish a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) for Mula-Mutha riverfront development project despite opposition from several political parties. The proposal was passed during the General Body meeting on Friday. The corporators of Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), Shiv Sena, Congress and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) had opposed the formation of the SPV for the riverfront development.

Pune: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has passed a proposal to establish a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) for Mula-Mutha riverfront development project despite opposition from several political parties. The proposal was passed during the General Body meeting on Friday. The corporators of Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), Shiv Sena, Congress and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) had opposed the formation of the SPV for the riverfront development.

Last week, the Standing Committee passed a proposal for SPV for the riverfront project. The proposal was then put forward to the General Body for final approval. The members of the opposition had submitted three suggestions. First suggestion involved including city improvement committee, party leaders and making the Mayor as the company head, which was passed. However, the other two suggestions, which objected to the formation of SPV and allowing the corporation to run a project to lower the consultant fee, were rejected after voting.

Chetan Tupe, Opposition leader of NCP, alleged that the riverfront project will benefit the developers. He said, "Due to this project, 1,700 hectare land will be made available for the development. The corporation will raise funds for development of lands but it is harmful to the environment."

Kunal Kumar, Municipal Commissioner, said, "We will follow all the rules while developing the riverfront. In this project, there will be 80 per cent natural development and remaining 20 per cent will be construction. The company belongs to the Corporation and the General Body will take all the decisions and it will not work like a private company."

44 kilometre of Mula-Mutha River flows through the limits of PMC, PCMC, Khadki and Pune Cantonment. At present, corporation has channelised the river.

The company is going to make the detailed project report, which includes a plan for improving the riverfront, conservation and beautification of riverfront. DPR will also include design and hydraulic survey.

For improvement of the project, the Corporation will have to redesign flood lines of Mula-Mutha River from State Water Resource Department. In this project, multiple agencies are involved such as water resource department, which has ownership of the river, the State government, two cantonments and Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation. The company will be engaging public, NGOs, political parties, experts, etc. 

Related News