Bird rescued after getting injured by nylon manja

ST Correspondent
Monday, 15 January 2018

"In the afternoon we suddenly heard the cawing by the crows in our balcony which was unusual. There, we saw a kite trapped in the grills of the balcony with its half portion of the body inside and half outside with injured feet," said Niphadkar.

PUNE: Despite a nationwide ban on nylon manja by the National Green Tribunal, the number of birds getting injured on Makar Sankranti is rising. This year a kite was injured due to nylon manja and was rescued by ornithologist Abhijit Pawar.

The kite was injured due to manja which got entangled in its feet and got trapped in the balcony of Pradeep Niphadkar, a resident of Nigdi on Sunday. "In the afternoon we suddenly heard the cawing by the crows in our balcony which was unusual. There, we saw a kite trapped in the grills of the balcony with its half portion of the body inside and half outside with injured feet," said Niphadkar.

He added, “It was a painful sight. So we started calling up the snake park and corporators and after some time we got in touch with Pawar. He rushed to our place and within an hour rescued the bird."

Pawar said, “When I went to his residence at 5 pm, I saw that the right wing of the bird was stuck in the grill of their balcony. After a keen observation of the bird, I realised that it got hurt and had injuries on feet and wings because of manja, as there were scars on the feet and wing. Trying to get free from the manja inflicted the injuries."

“Initially, the bird was scared and anxious as it could not move the wings. I tried feeding water but it was scared and was unable to respond. We took it out from the grill, calmed it and then freed it."

Related News