Around 200 Students hospitalised after eating food in mess

ST Correspondent
Wednesday, 29 August 2018

A faculty member from the Loni Kalbhor campus informed that similar incident had taken place a couple of months back when at least 30-40 students were admitted in the hospital for health complains.

PUNE: Around 200 student were rushed to MAEER's MIT Group of institution run VishwaRaj Hospital on Tuesday evening between 4 pm to 6 pm.

These students complained about vomiting and diarrhea. 

"For past few months there has been a lot of problems in hostel mess on campus. We have several times complained about it but no action has been taken. In the evening many students started vomiting and complaining of uneasiness after which they were taken to the hospital," said a student from one of the college on campus.

He added, "initially the wardens and faculty were insisting to return to hostel and said they will be given treatment at hostel itself. However, they continued treatment here."

A faculty member from the Loni Kalbhor campus informed that similar incident had taken place a couple of months back when at least 30-40 students were admitted in the hospital for health complains. "Then it was because of water related issues and the effect was not in this magnitude."

He confirmed that students were admitted because of food poisoning. Some students have been discharged.

However, trustee and secretary of MAEER's MIT group of institutions, Mangesh Karad has denied stating that not 200 students but only 50-60 students were taken to hospital for complaining of stomach ache. "The numbers of affect students given out are wrong. Only 60 students went to the hospital, out of which some complained of nausea and stomach ache and few students vomitted."

"There must be some error in the services which is why out of 1000 students who consume the food daily at the mess 60 fell ill. But the food quality is regularly examined by a proper committee comprising of faculties on campus," he said.

Related News