Pune: A major fire broke out on Friday morning at the Mango Festival organised at the Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee (APMC) premises at Market Yard, leaving 60 stalls of mangoes gutted.
Around 11.30 am on Friday, the fire started due to reasons unknown as of yet and soon spread, gutting down almost 60 stalls and their mango produce and other material as well. The APMC says that the estimated loss, for now, is around Rs 3 lakh, which is fortunately not a major loss. “The APMC owns the pandals and stall material. We are yet to assess the total loss, but the total loss of produce of the farmers was around Rs 3 lakh,” said Sunil Pawar of the APMC.
“We lodged a complaint with the police to investigate the reason behind the fire but the most probable reasons according to experts seem to be an electric short-circuit or the hay combusting on its own,” said Pawar.
The fire department used four fire tenders and two tankers to extinguish the fire. It took the Fire Brigade one hour to extinguish the fire and for cooling down the burnt material. “We got a call about the fire at 11.59 am. There were no injuries or casualties,” said Prashant Ranpise, Chief Fire Officer.
Ranpise also told Sakal Times that the organisers had not taken a fire NOC from the fire department.
When asked about it, Pawar said that the event was in the APMC premises. “We organise it within the APMC premises and never needed any such NOC. It is like an in-house event.” Regarding the future of the festival, he said, “The season is such that demand picks up now. We will make alternative arrangements and continue the festival soon.”
The Mango Festival is organised each year by the APMC during the month of May to promote the sales of mangoes and also make quality mango produce from well known mango producing regions available to the Pune consumers.
This year too, more than 60 stalls were occupied by mango growers who were seeing good numbers in sales.