12 cases of LPG blasts in Jan raise doubts over safety measures

Sushant Ranjan
Wednesday, 23 January 2019

According to Chief Fire Officer Prashant Ranpise, they received 10 calls in December 2018. Most of them being cooking gas-related accidents due to gas leakages from the rubber tube, faulty fitting of the regulator, poor handling of gas appliances and leaving cooking unattended, leading the vessel to overflow, which in turn extinguishes the burner and causes gas leak.

Pune: Two persons sustained serious burns in a fire that broke out in a shop on Tuesday morning after an LPG cylinder exploded in Atulnagar, Undri. 

This is the fifth such case reported in the past four days in the city and the 12th in this month so far. These explosions have raised several questions about consumers not following the precautionary measures. 

Oil marketing companies said consumers have to follow the instructions mentioned in their hand book. In emergency, they should call the helpline number immediately. The consumers have to check gas stoves every year.

A Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) senior officer said, “Consumers should follow the instructions mentioned in their hand book. They can get more information through the helpline.”

According to Chief Fire Officer Prashant Ranpise, they received 10 calls in December 2018. Most of them being cooking gas-related accidents due to gas leakages from the rubber tube, faulty fitting of the regulator, poor handling of gas appliances and leaving cooking unattended, leading the vessel to overflow, which in turn extinguishes the burner and causes gas leak.

“Many people do not replace defective rubber tubes for years. These tubes should be replaced regularly. Almost 60 per cent cases of gas leak that take place in city’s slum areas happen due to non-replacement of defective tubes. Not properly fitting the regulator is another cause of leaks and mishaps in upwardly mobile areas,” he said.

On January 6, 45-year-old Kamini Kumar died while her husband Santosh Kumar, an Income Tax officer, sustained 30 pc burns after a fire broke out in their ninth floor flat in Kadnagar in Undri. According to the police, everything inside the two-bedroom flat, barring one bedroom, was gutted. Firemen rescued the couple’s son from one of the bedrooms. As per the information provided by the fire department, flames leaped out of flat on the ninth floor of Ganga Estoria society’s B Wing.

A senior officer of Hindustan Petroleum Corporation said, “If smell persists, consumers should call HP gas distributor during office hours. For emergencies after the office hours or on holidays, please call up your nearest emergency service cell. An experienced person can detach the regulator and fix the safety cap on the valve.”

Usha Poonawala, President of All India LPG distributors Federation, Maharashtra, said consumers should follow safety measures. This is mandatory for every consumer to ask the distributor to inspect LPG cylinder and stove once in a year.

“Every person’s life is important. Consumers should follow instructions given by their distributors. Inspection is must for each consumer once a year. Suraksha pipe should be changed after five years.

Most of the consumers don’t want to allow vendors to check the cylinder. It is mandatory for the consumer to check the valve of the cylinder at that time it is being delivered. However, most of the time the consumers fail to do so,” said Usha Poonawala.

Related News