Pune: Gajendra Ahire’s ‘Pimpal’ was awarded the Government of Maharashtra ‘Sant Tukaram’ Best International Marathi Film at the 16th Pune International Film Festival (PIFF). The awards for the Best World Cinema and Marathi Cinema were given at the closing ceremony held on Thursday at City Pride, Kothrud.
Under the section ‘World Competition’, the Chinese Film ‘Free and Easy’ directed by Jun Geng was awarded the Government of Maharashtra ‘Prabhat’ Best International Film. A token amount of Rs 10 lakh was presented to the director and producer of the film.
Veteran Marathi filmmaker Rajdutt was presented the ‘PIFF Distinguished Award’ for ‘Outstanding Cinema’ by Nitin Gadre, Principal Secretary, Tourism and Culture, Government of Maharashtra, and Jabbar Patel, Director of PIFF, for his significant contribution in Marathi film industry.
Speaking on the occasion, Rajdutt said, “It’s heartwarming to receive such an award at an international film festival. As far as the trend of globalisation is concerned, the film industry is truly the only field that transcends all the limitations of language, colour, people. Film lovers will enjoy cinema from any corner of the world with the same enthusiasm.”
In World Cinema, the Government of Maharashtra ‘Prabhat’ Best International Film Director Award was given to Lucrecia Matel of the Argentinian Film ‘Zama’. In the same section, ‘Special Jury Award’ was given to the film ‘Requiem for Mrs J’ by Bojan Vuletic.
Accolades for Marathi cinema
- Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Chitrapat Mahamandal Best Marathi Film Director Award: Filmmaker Gajendra Ahire
- Akhil Bharatiya Marathi Chitrapat Mahamandal Best Screenplay Award: Gajendra Ahire
- Best Cinematographer Award: Girish Jambhalikar for ‘Mhorkya’
- Best Actor Award: Raman Devkar for ‘Mhorkya’
- Best Actress Award: Mitali Jagtap for ‘Nashibwan’
- Special Jury Award: Sachin Khedekar for ‘Muramba’