Militants strike again

Saturday, 26 August 2017

Lt Gen JS Sandhu, General officer Commanding of Srinagar-based XV Corps, said it is a ‘fidayeen’ (suicide) attack.

Srinagar: Eight security personnel, including four CRPF men, were martyred when terrorists carried out a suicide attack on a district police complex  in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Saturday, triggering a massive gunfight in which the three terrorists were killed. Five jawans sustained injuries in the attack. 

The terror strike took place at the crack of dawn when the terrorists, believed to be foreign mercenaries, entered the police complex in the worst-hit Pulwama district, 25 km from here.

Police, CRPF and Army personnel quickly swung into action and cornered the terrorists and ensured that family members of the police personnel living within the complex were taken out to safety.

By afternoon, the security personnel neutralised one of the three terrorists while another militant’s body was recovered after 5 pm, officials said, adding the firing had stopped and the third body would be recovered soon.

The terrorists had entrenched themselves in all the three blocks of the police complex and were firing at the approaching troops, they said.

Lt Gen JS Sandhu, General officer Commanding of Srinagar-based XV Corps, said it is a ‘fidayeen’ (suicide) attack.

Meanwhile, massive clashes have erupted between protestors and security forces at many places in Pulwama, where mobile internet service of all cellular companies, including Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), has been suspended since early this morning as a precautionary measure to prevent spread of any rumour.

Among those killed four were from the CRPF including Head Constable of 182 battalion of CRPF, Dhanawade Ravindra Baban, resident of Satara, Maharashtra, one was a constable of Jammu and Kashmir Police and three were Special Police Officers working with the state police.

Two of the four CRPF personnel were killed at the fag end of the operation when they were defusing one of the improvised explosive devices planted by the terrorists.

Director General of Police SP Vaid said it was a sad day for security forces who suffered such a heavy causality. 

Related News