NEW DELHI: The Delhi government will take over around 449 private schools, which have been served show cause notices over charging extra fee, only as a ‘last resort’ if they do not roll back their decision, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said on Friday.
Addressing a press conference, his first in nearly four months, Kejriwal said the government does not intend to ‘interfere’, but will surely ‘discipline’ the schools, if needed.
The schools are among the ones identified by a committee headed by Justice Anil Dev Singh as having overcharged parents on the pretext of implementing recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission.
Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi Manish Sisodia, who was also present at the press conference, said that the show cause notices were served about four days ago and contained a deadline. The deadline asks the schools to respond within two weeks.
“The schools will not be allowed to loot students like they used to do under the previous governments due to political collusion.
“Some of the schools are doing good work. But if they don’t implement the recommendations of the panel’s report then we will take them over as a last resort,” Kejriwal said.
The panel, which was formed last year, had scrutinised a total of 1,108 private unaided schools.
Kejriwal said that among the schools that have not rolled back the fee hike, one had a surplus of Rs 15 crore while another had Rs 5 crore surplus.
“I hope we don’t have to take over (schools). Today, we intend to send out a message to the managements of those schools to implement the recommendations soon,” Kejriwal said.
Sisodia further said the government was keeping a watch on everything and will verify cases where schools have claimed to have returned fees.