Rs 202 cr sanctioned for roads connecting forts

ST Correspondent
Friday, 14 September 2018

The roads from Nanded to Velhe, Khanapur to Panshet and Khed Shivapur to Sinhagad foothill, have been seeing a constant increase in tourist numbers. There has been a long-time demand for the repair of these important roads.

Pune: In an attempt to boost tourism at the historic sites of forts in the district, the State government has sanctioned a budget of Rs 202 crore to construct or repair three roads which connect historic Torna and Sinhagad forts, along with other tourist attractions in the district.

The roads from Nanded to Velhe, Khanapur to Panshet and Khed Shivapur to Sinhagad foothill, have been seeing a constant increase in tourist numbers. There has been a long-time demand for the repair of these important roads. The government has finally acted on it and PWD Minister Chandrakant Patil and District Guardian Minister Girish Bapat, have inaugurated the works for these roads on Wednesday. 

The Nanded-Velhe Road will connect Pune city directly to the Torna fort and will make it possible to reach the fort within a shorter timespan. The road is expected to take Rs 141 crore for construction. The Nanded-Donje foothill road too sees a lot of tourist traffic, especially on weekends and bad condition of the roads makes traffic jams a frequent occurrence.

The Khanapur-Panshet Road will take a budget of Rs 44 crore, while Khed Shivapur to Kondhanpur Road will take a budget of Rs 38 crore. Rs 202 crore required for these roads has been allocated and the works will see rapid completion as the tender process has been completed according to sources. The roads will be developed under the Hybrid Annuity Scheme wherein the 60 per cent cost will be paid upfront to the contractor while the remaining 40 per cent will be paid in instalments.

Related News