Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has asked for Central security forces to face a new round of agitation for Maratha quota from August 9, a senior official said here today. The agitation witnessed violence in many parts of the state last week.
Maratha Kranti Morcha, the umbrella organisation of the agitators, seeking reservation in jobs and education, had said it would start a new round of protests all over the state from August 9.
A senior Home Department official said there were intelligence inputs that there could be fresh violence.
"We have reserve police force, but it would not be sufficient if there are simultaneous protests in different places," the official told PTI on condition of anonymity.
We have written to the Centre that we would need additional forces to counter any untoward situation," he said.
There were incidents of stone-pelting and arson in many parts of the state as Maratha agitators took to the streets last week.
Four police officials were injured in stone pelting and over sixty vehicles were damaged during a protest at Chakan near Pune on July 30.
Earlier, a bandh called by Maratha outfits in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region had brought the city to a halt, while there were violent protests in neighbouring Navi Mumbai.
Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, who today met prominent members of the community, said his government was committed to provide reservation to the Marathas in such a way that it stands scrutiny in the courts.