College heads across State meet and discuss RSMS

ST Correspondent
Saturday, 28 July 2018

According to the State GR, colleges offering non-professional courses should not collect the granted 100 per cent fees from beneficiaries

Pune: While the State government has clearly directed all the colleges in Maharashtra to start implementing the Rajshri Shahu Maharaj scholarship (RSMS) scheme and follow the given rules, heads of colleges from Pune, Ahmednagar and Nashik had a meeting on the prolonging issue of why proper implementation has not happened so far.

As many as 210 principals from different colleges from above areas, Joint Director of Directorate of Higher Education (DHE) Vijay Narkhade, Joint Director of Directorate of Technical Education (DTE) DR Nandanwar, Registrar of SPPU Arvind Shaligram, Executive Director of Modern Education Society (MES) Gajanan Ekbote, Secretary of MES Shamkant Deshmukh and Principal of Modern College of Arts, Science and Commerce Rajendra Zunjarrao were present at the meeting.

Even after repeated reminders from the State government that beneficiaries of the scholarship should not be forced to make full payment of tuition fees, it has been observed that many colleges insist on full payments. According to the State Government Resolution (GR), colleges offering non-professional courses should not collect the granted 100 per cent fees from beneficiaries while colleges offering professional courses should not collect 50 per cent of scholarship amount to be given by the State government from the students during admission.

However, principals raised concerns that since there are delays in disbursements of the amounts from the State Social Welfare 
Department, colleges have been losing money.

“Theoretically, the colleges are paying the scholarship amount until the students reimburse the money. Therefore, many principals suggested that the State government should directly transfer the money in colleges’ bank accounts instead of students’ bank accounts,” said Zunjjarao.

Principals were also of the thinking that halting students’ mark sheets or results would be appropriate. However, Zunjjarao said, “Ethically, it is not right to do so, as we will not want students to lose their academic year. Also, students can blame the college for blocking their career path in return.”

Moreover, according to the condition mentioned in October 2017 GR, only those colleges, which have National Assessment and Accreditation Certificate (NAAC), will receive the Social Welfare Department’s funds from the State government. 

In the meeting, discussions were also held on 50 per cent compulsory placement. Narkhade responded to the discussion saying that these issues and concerns would be raised with the authorities of the State government.

Related News