With Holi just a day away, city-based chefs share some traditional and contemporary food and beverage recipes that you can try at home
What is Holi without colours! Colours are the core of the celebration, so much so that the dishes made on Holi are vibrant too.
A Holi bash is incomplete without the Thandai, also we cannot think of Holi celebration without gorging on Gujiya and Puran Poli.
Here’re some of the dishes and drinks that you can prepare at home to treat your loved ones and make your Holi celebration more flavoursome.
RAJASTHANI KORMA ROTI
Moong dal.... - ..1 cup
Wheat flour. - .....2 cups
Red chilli powder..... - 2 tsp ( adjust to taste)
Turmeric powder... - .....¼ tsp
Oil... - ..3 tbsp
Ajwain... - ..1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Water as needed
- Take the whole moong dal in a mixture and grind it coarsely. Now soak the coarse mixture in enough water for 3-4 hours.
- After soaking they will absorb all the water, if you have any extra water drain them.
- In a bowl take the soaked moong dal, add wheat flour, oil, red chilli powder, ajwain,turmeric powder, and salt.
- Mix them well add little water if needed and make a dough like a chapati dough.
- Leave the dough covered for 20 minutes. Divide them to equal parts .
- Roll each ball using a rolling pin like chapathi. Meanwhile heat a tawa.
- Place the rolled korma roti on the hot tawa , drizzle some oil as needed and cook the roti from both side.
- Keep pressing the roti with a ladle while roasting to make it crispy.
- Do the same with the rest of the dough. Enjoy these crispy roti as it is or with pickle.
Full fat milk (boiled and cooled).... - 4 1/2 cups
Powdered sugar.......... - .1/4 cup
Saffron (kesar).... - a few strands
Rose water(gulab jal)...... - .. a few drops
To be soaked
Almonds (badam).... - ...1/4 cup
Cashew.... - ¼ cup
Pista......... - .¼ Cup
Poppy seeds (khus-khus)... - ..2 tbsp
Fennel seeds (saunf)... - ...2 tbsp
Watermelon seeds... - ..2 tbsp
Cardamom (elaichi)... .. - 1 tsp
Whole peppercorns (kalimirch)........20
Rose petals (dried).... - ..3-4
- Soak the above ingredients for 20 minutes and then grind it into coarse paste.
- Put milk in a deep bowl, add sugar, mix well using a whisk and refrigerate for two hours.
- Add the paste to the milk, mix well and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl heat a little milk and add the saffron. Add this to the cold colk and chill again.
- Add few drops of gulab jal before serving.
(Recipes shared by Maharaj Jodharam Choudhary, corporate chef, Khandani Rajdhani)
Beetroot juice.... - 60 ml
Lemon grass... -.2 chunks
Peach syrup..... - 20 ml
Lime juice.... - 20 ml
Dragon fruit.... - 2 slice
A dash of Sprite
- Muddle all the ingredients. This helps release the flavours of the fresh ingredients so that they bind with the liquid.
- Then shake and serve in an old fashioned glass.
- Use lemongrass sticks and beetroot slices for garnishing.
Coriander leaves …........ - 5-6
Blue Curacao Syrup....... - 30 ml
Lime Juice........ - . 20 ml
Sprite as required
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender.
- Pour into a hurricane glass.
- Garnish with orange slice, and coriander leaves and top it with Sprite.
(The recipes have been contributed by Rahul Bhagat, F&B director, Conrad Pune)