Food delivery services Zomato and Swiggy share statistics about how India has been ordering food online in 2018
Quite eventful and exciting, 2018 has been a landmark year for Zomato, the online ordering and food delivery service. As the brand has expanded its footprint to over 120 cities in India, they learnt a thing or two about food trends as well — not just in the online ordering sphere but across the spectrum of varied services that Zomato is known for.
Last year, Zomato users ordered five times more from their homes than offices. While a user in Jaipur placed an order worth Rs 1,84,760 which was delivered in 415 boxes, another user in Delhi placed 1804 orders over the year. Cashless payment mode dominated with only 28 per cent of their users choosing to pay via cash. The average time taken by users to decide what to order on Zomato was as much as 11 minutes — well, it is the most important decision. Zomato’s food delivery business achieved a monthly order run rate of 28 million in December, said a press release.
Amongst the tier I cities, folks from Delhi NCR placed the most orders, while the people from Ahmedabad topped the chart in tier II-III city category. Of the cities that Zomato recently expanded their food ordering services to Vizag proved that they are ready to embrace online ordering trend by beating several other prominent cities. Percentage-wise, Indore binged more during midnight than Mumbai.
To build more convenience around food, Zomato added a bunch of new services for consumers over the last year. Zomato Piggybank, a loyalty programme launched in July 2018, not only helped users save over Rs 176 million, but also helped raise funds equivalent to 22 lakh meals for the Akshaya Patra Foundation.
North Indian dishes were the most preferred while ordering in as well as dining out. Not just that, Chicken Biryani was the most ordered food item as well as the most picked up (with Zomato Pickup service) over the year.
From festive treats to bowl meals, India’s love affair with food continued to blossom in 2018. Swiggy unveiled the country’s ever-evolving gastronomical preferences this past year through its third annual order analysis report — StatEATistics 2018.
More and more users took conscious efforts towards mindful eating. This included ordering-in planned, healthy and single-serve meals along with embracing eco-friendly packaging options. Juices like watermelon, mosambi, pineapple and orange are preferred choices for healthy items across India, and Roasted Chicken and Fruit Salad are often ordered in cities like Ahmedabad, Chandigarh, Delhi, Lucknow, Mumbai and Pune. Unsurprisingly, on weekdays, Indians watched their calorie intake by ordering more healthy food compared to weekends.
There has also been a considerable surge in the number of users ordering in vegetarian food. Compared to 2017’s 43 per cent, in 2018 about 62 per cent of the orders across the country were vegetarian, with Ahmedabad topping the list followed by Jaipur and Chandigarh. On the other hand, Bengaluru ordered the most chicken dishes closely followed by Hyderabad.
Fun facts from Swiggy’s order analysis
- Most searched food items: Pizza, burger and cake
- Most ordered dishes: Chicken Biryani, Masala Dosa, Paneer Butter Masala, Mutton Biryani, Chicken Fried Rice, Tandoori Chicken and Dal Makhani
- Top international cuisines: Chinese, Continental and Italian dishes
- Mutual love: Chandigarh and Ahmedabad discovered their mutual lunch-love for thaalis, while Delhi and Gurgaon took their neighbourhood relationship to the next level by choosing Butter Naan and Dal Makhani as their go-to meal option
- Top desserts: Tender coconut ice-cream emerged yet again as the most preferred dessert across the country with Gulab Jamun as a close second.
- Healthy eating: Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai are the top three cities when it came to ordering the healthiest food online.
- Meal planning: Bengaluru and Hyderabad along with Kolkata were the best planners when it comes to their meals. The cities ordered their meals up to 36 hours in advance using Swiggy Scheduled