Raksha Bandhan is an auspicious festival that celebrates the bond of love and affection between a brother and a sister. The love and the laughter, the silly quarrels, the sharing and giving and a lifetime of togetherness — celebrate all this and more this Raksha Bandhan by making healthy treats for your bro by adding a sweet crunch of California walnuts to your mithai.
A dynamic nut known to be an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acid (2.5 gm of ALA/oz), a handful of walnuts offers 4 gm of protein along with 2 gm of fibre making every dish all the more nourishing.
So, celebrate this beautiful bond by curating special desserts at home and make it extra special for your siblings with the added goodness of health. Celebrity chef and owner Mineority By Saby and Lavaash By Saby, Sabyasachi Gorai, shares some walnut-inspired recipes for a special treat that is not only super delicious but easy to make as well.
WALNUT SHAHI TUKDA
- Full cream milk - 1 ltr
- Sugar - ¼ cup
- Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
- Saffron milk - 2 tbsp
FOR SUGAR SYRUP
- Sugar - ½ cup
- Water - ½ cup
- A few saffron threads
- Bread white or brown - 6 slices
- Ghee - 3 tbsp
- Walnuts - ½ cup
- Remove the sides of bread and cut them into triangles.
- Fry the bread slices, both sides, in hot ghee till the bread turns golden brown.
- For sugar syrup, put water in a pan and add sugar to it. Add a few saffron threads, if desired. Bring it to a boil and then turn off the heat.
- Dip both sides of bread in sugar syrup and keep aside.
- For Rabri, heat milk and then add sugar, cardamom powder and saffron milk.
- On a plate, place the fried bread slices and pour ½ cup of prepared Rabri. Then put the walnut halves on the bread as topping.
- Walnut - 250 gm
- Ghee.. - 80 gm
- Milk powder. - 120 gm
- Milk - 150 gm
- Sugar. - 100 gm
- Khoya/ mawa (milk solids), grated - 100 gm
- Green cardamom powder - ½ tsp
- Walnut kernels for garnishing
- Crush walnuts coarsely.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan. Add crushed walnuts and sauté till fragrant.
- Add khoya/ mawa, mix and continue to sauté. Add milk powder and mix well.
- Now add milk and mix again.
- Add green cardamom powder and sugar. Cook on medium heat till the mixture thickens to halwa consistency.
- Serve warm or cold garnished with walnut kernels.