FOR A SAFE DIWALI
Safe Kids Foundation, an NGO, issues fire safety measures that we must follow during Diwali celebrations.
Diwali is around the corner, and many families burst firecrackers during the celebrations. This may lead to fire-related injuries and burns. Although bursting firecrackers is harmful for the environment and causes a lot of noise and air pollution and people should give up this practice, in case you do indulge in some small celebrations, you have to be extremely careful.
Safe Kids Foundation, a nonprofit organisation dedicated to the prevention of unintentional childhood injuries which is a leading cause of death and disability of children globally, is working to spread awareness about road and home safety through various interventions in schools. They have also drawn up some safety measures for bursting crackers during Diwali.
Rupa Kothari, managing trustee and executive director, Safe Kids Foundation India, says, “Since Diwali is around the corner, many families light firecrackers to celebrate the auspicious day. While bursting firecrackers, it may lead to various fire-related injuries and burns due to improper use. Which is why fire safety awareness becomes crucial. To avoid such dangers and as a notable organisation for promoting the advocacy of fire safety, Safe Kids Foundation has issued various safety measures to prevent injuries.”
There are several fire safety measures, but one must always keep a bucket of water and sand handy while lighting firecrackers. If there’s an emergency, sand helps in putting off a fire and pouring water on burns helps to reduce the sting.
Also save emergency numbers. To call the fire brigade, call on 101 and for the ambulance, call on 102. “It is dangerous to play with firecrackers. Burns take a while to cure and may leave scars and trauma forever. Prevention is always better than cure. It is painful to see children suffer, so let’s make it a safe and happy Diwali for all,” she urges.
- Always light firecrackers under adult supervision and in an open space away from home, never on the road.
- Wear fitted cotton clothes with short sleeves.
- Keep safe distance, while lighting firecrackers. Do not bend on the firecrackers while lighting.
- It is unsafe to light it in your hands.
- Avoid using matches and lighters to light crackers.
- It is not safe to relight the fireworks that did not ignite at first time, soak them in water to dispose or splash water to dispose.
- Wear proper footwear while lighting firecrackers.