Relish rice treats
We often think rice is loaded with carbs, but a few variations can make the cereal healthy and flavourful too
Here is a treat for all rice lovers who have abstained themselves from eating the staple because they are wary of weight gain. But fret not, it is neither your usual steamed white rice, Biryani or Pulav nor it is the boring brown rice. These days, people across the globe are experimenting with different types of rice and creating some amazing nutritious and low-calorie dishes. From healthy Black Rice Bowls to Black Rice Sushi, and Black and Red Rice Ramen to Black Rice Pudding, the amazing versions of rice is making one drool over them. Pristine Organics, a Bengaluru-based brand selling organic and nutritional products, shares a few healthy ways of relishing rice.
Black Rice Salad
- Black rice.....50 gm
- Ginger, sliced.....4 cm
- Corn.....200 gm
- Mango, cut in cubes.....150 gm
- Basil for garnishing
- Red chillies, seeds removed and cut into small pieces.....2
- Lime as required
- Vinegar as required
- Ginger juice as required
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Place the rice, ginger slices and water into a medium-sized pan and turn the heat on high. Bring to a boil and cook the rice. Once cooked, drain and leave it to cool.
- Make the dressing by mixing the lime, ginger and vinegar in a measuring cup. Use a stick blender to mix it all.
- Place the rice, mango, basil and red chillies together in a bowl. Add the dressing and mix it all together.
Red Rice Masala Poha
- Red beaten rice/ red rice flakes (poha )......2 cups
- Medium-size onion, finely chopped.....1
- Green chillies, finely chopped......2
- Ginger, finely minced.....1⁄2 tsp
- Peanuts, roasted.....2 tbsp
- Green peas, boiled.....1⁄4 cup
- Coconut, freshly grated.....2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves, finely chopped.....2 tbsp
- Oil…….. 1 & 1⁄2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Tomato sauce.....⅓ cup
- Lemon juice.....1 & 1⁄2 tbsp (optional)
- Mustard seeds.....1⁄2 tbsp
- Asafoetida..... 1⁄4 tbsp (hing)
- Curry leaves.....1 sprig
- Soak red beaten rice/ poha in lukewarm water for 5 minutes and then drain completely.
- Set aside to soften for 10 minutes, covered.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom vessel, add the mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Allow the mustard seeds to splutter. Add the chopped onions, ginger, green chilies and curry leaves, and sauté for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the softened red poha, boiled green peas, salt and mix well. Place lid and allow to cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve warm and garnish with coriander leaves.