During monsoon, you have a tendency to indulge in fried food. But you can always make your meals more nourishing, healthy and mouthwatering. Go ahead and feel free to gorge on these easy-to-whip-up monsoon delights, or treat your friends and family to these lip-smacking nibbles.
HEALTHY FRIES INFUSED WITH HERBS AND OLIVE OIL, AND SERVED WITH BEETROOT KETCHUP
INGREDIENTS FOR FRIES
- Potatoes.. - .2
- Sweet potatoes... - 2
- Fresh rosemary... - 1 twig
- Fresh coriander as required
- Olive oil... - 2 tsp
- Salt and pepper as required
FOR BEETROOT KETCHUP
- Cubed and cooked beetroot... - 2 cups
- Tomato.. - .1
- Water. - ..¼ cup
- Vinegar... - ¼ cup
- Brown sugar or jaggery... - 2 tbsp
- Bay leaf... - 1
- Red onion... - ½
- A pinch of salt and pepper
METHOD FOR FRIES
- Parboil the potatoes in a vessel, put a fork through them to make sure they don’t get overcooked.
- Remove from water and slice carefully into the length of French fries.
- Add chopped rosemary and coriander to the olive oil and gently brush on the potatoes.
- Arrange on a pre-greased tray and put it in a pre-heated oven for 7-8 minutes at 200 degrees.
FOR BEETROOT KETCHUP
- Heat all ingredients over a medium flame in a saucepan until all the liquid has thickened.
- After letting it cool for a couple of minutes, blend the mixture till it has a smooth ketchup-like consistency.
VEGETABLE PAD THAI
- Flat wide rice noodles.. - .½ packet
- Soya sauce... - 1½ tbsp
- Fresh lime juice.. - ¼ cup
- Red crushed chilli flakes
- Vegetable oil.. - .1½ tbsp
- Jaggery... - ½ tsp
- Carrot, grated.. - .1
- Cabbage, grated.. - .1 bowl
- Turnip, grated... - 1
- Bean sprouts... - 1 cup
- Roasted peanuts powder - ..2 tsp
- Chopped garlic... - 1 clove
- Diced semi-firm tofu. - .½ cup
- Broccoli.. - .½ cup
- Salt as required
- Boil noodles according to the instructions on the packet.
- On a wide pan, put oil to simmer, add garlic and grated vegetables to semi-cook.
- Add the soya sauce, jaggery, salt, and lime juice to the cooked vegetables in the pan.
- Toss in the noodles and sprinkle the roasted peanut powder, chilli flakes and firm tofu on top and toss once again gently without breaking the tofu.