Samosa, Dal Pakoda, Kanda Bhajji are an absolute delight during the rains, but what if you can have baked fries, or noodles with tofu and other healthy veggies this season? Sounds refreshingly good? Then try them
During monsoon, you have a tendency to indulge in fried food. But you can always make your meals more nourishing, healthy and mouthwatering. Go ahead and feel free to gorge on these easy-to-whip-up monsoon delights, or treat your friends and family to these lip-smacking nibbles.
HEALTHY FRIES INFUSED WITH HERBS AND OLIVE OIL, AND SERVED WITH BEETROOT KETCHUP
INGREDIENTS FOR FRIES
- Potatoes.. - .2
- Sweet potatoes... - 2
- Fresh rosemary... - 1 twig
- Fresh coriander as required
- Olive oil... - 2 tsp
- Salt and pepper as required
FOR BEETROOT KETCHUP
- Cubed and cooked beetroot... - 2 cups
- Tomato.. - .1
- Water. - ..¼ cup
- Vinegar... - ¼ cup
- Brown sugar or jaggery... - 2 tbsp
- Bay leaf... - 1
- Red onion... - ½
- A pinch of salt and pepper
METHOD FOR FRIES
- Parboil the potatoes in a vessel, put a fork through them to make sure they don’t get overcooked.
- Remove from water and slice carefully into the length of French fries.
- Add chopped rosemary and coriander to the olive oil and gently brush on the potatoes.
- Arrange on a pre-greased tray and put it in a pre-heated oven for 7-8 minutes at 200 degrees.
FOR BEETROOT KETCHUP
- Heat all ingredients over a medium flame in a saucepan until all the liquid has thickened.
- After letting it cool for a couple of minutes, blend the mixture till it has a smooth ketchup-like consistency.
VEGETABLE PAD THAI
- Flat wide rice noodles.. - .½ packet
- Soya sauce... - 1½ tbsp
- Fresh lime juice.. - ¼ cup
- Red crushed chilli flakes
- Vegetable oil.. - .1½ tbsp
- Jaggery... - ½ tsp
- Carrot, grated.. - .1
- Cabbage, grated.. - .1 bowl
- Turnip, grated... - 1
- Bean sprouts... - 1 cup
- Roasted peanuts powder - ..2 tsp
- Chopped garlic... - 1 clove
- Diced semi-firm tofu. - .½ cup
- Broccoli.. - .½ cup
- Salt as required
- Boil noodles according to the instructions on the packet.
- On a wide pan, put oil to simmer, add garlic and grated vegetables to semi-cook.
- Add the soya sauce, jaggery, salt, and lime juice to the cooked vegetables in the pan.
- Toss in the noodles and sprinkle the roasted peanut powder, chilli flakes and firm tofu on top and toss once again gently without breaking the tofu.