Are you beach ready?
Here are a few tips to make you look fashionable on the beach and also protect your skin from the harsh summer sun
Now that summer is here, you must be heading to the beach for a relaxing holiday by the sea. But the question that may pop into your head is: Are you beach ready? We talk to a few experts to tell you how to look cool on the beach.
The bright summer sun can be harsh on your skin when you are heading for a beach vacation. The best way to protect your skin is to wear a beach wrap. “Beach cover-ups or wraps are totally in vogue and are available in so many colours and fabrics,” says Jagrutti Dogra, a fashion designer. She adds that a wrap instantly takes your outfit to the next level.
The only thing to keep in mind is not to wear stripes on stripes, but to emphasise on the colour-block technique which will make your beach wear stand out. “You can never go wrong with florals and neons, so invest in a good beach wrap and save yourself from sunburn,” she says.
If you don’t have a bikini ready body— which usually means a flat tummy and a pack of abs too — don’t think you aren’t beach ready. “High-waisted bikinis are what women are raving about,” says fashion stylist and blogger Tannisha Aggarwal, pointing out that tribal prints and colour-block pieces are in vogue. However, comfort is really important when wearing a swimming costume and you must have the confidence to sport one. “Be it a single or a two-piece costume, wear one which makes you comfortable and confident enough to carry it off,” she says.
No beach trip is complete without a hat to block out the sun. Straw hats are in this summer season. They not only look cool but are also affordable. “Invest in a straw hat with a contrasting ribbon which matches your costume or the wrap. A straw hat with quirky slogans also looks stylish,” she says.
When heading to the beach, you may not want to carry your expensive handbag. “We don’t want to carry our best bags to the beach because the heat, sand and water can ruin it,” because of which Aggarwal says that it is always a good idea to invest in a good beach bag. “There are so many quirky options out there to choose from, that you might just get confused,” adds Dogra. However, they both agree that while hitting the beach it is important to carry an extra towel and a good sunscreen lotion.
And while at the beach don’t forget to flaunt those epic shades.
Care for your skin
Here are some helpful tips by Puneet Madan, MD (Dermatology) at Doctor Insta and beauty expert Aakriti Kochar about summer skin care when heading to the beach or stepping outdoors:
- Never step out in the sun without applying sunscreen. Apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before going out and try and reapply every two to three hours. It is advisable to use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 and above.
- A cloudy day can give a false sense of security, but unfortunately the sun rays can even penetrate through the clouds and can give you sunburn. Even when it’s cloudy, remember to keep reapplying sunscreen.
- Lips, ears, scalp and feet are the common parts which we usually forget to cover. Many lip balms nowadays come with SPF. For your feet, either wear covered shoes or socks to cover them, while your head and ears can be covered with a scarf. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen on your feet and ears too.
- Don’t forget to apply sunblock when you are in water.
- Always make sure to develop and maintain an after-sun routine like applying cooling lotion or coconut oil on sunburnt areas to avoid sunburn and soothe affected skin. Applying aloe vera on sunburnt areas also helps soothe sunburn and removes tan.
- Consuming vitamin D rich foods like fermented cod liver oil help supplement vitamin D balance in your body and build a stronger immune system against sunburns. (IANS)